bembeyaz kesen

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by modus.irrealis, Feb 24, 2013.

1. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with the meaning of kesmek in the following.
    What does it mean in this context?

2. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    normally "kesmek" means "cut". But in this context it would mean "interruption of normal activity".

For example we can also say "yüzü bembeyaz kesildi" meaning "the guys face became extremely white because he was in a shock, he was afraid, etc.."

3. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    :confused::confused:

I'm not sure which context Ancalimon is referring to, but in your context it means that the windshield became totally white due to the heavy blizzard.

4. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    elektrik kesilmesi: Power outage (electricity is no longer functioning normally)
    camlar bembeyaz kesildi: The window became white and as a result it does not allow you to see through it any longer. (the window is no longer functioning normally)
    yüzü bembeyaz kesildi: His face became extremely white. The blood is no longer pumping to his face... (his face is no longer functioning normally)
    adam taş kesildi: The man froze in place motionless like a rock ~ the man became paralyzed. (his body is no longer functioning normally)

So I think this is the reason why we are using "kesilmek" (which normally means "to cut" and not "to become" or "to get" ) in these contexts. Otherwise we should have said "bir anda bembeyaz olan ön cama". So there is a difference between saying "bembeyaz kesmek" and "bembeyaz olmak".

So I definitely think that there is a perfectly meaningful explanation to why we use "kesilmek" in these contexts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    The windshield turned stark white, apparently.

6. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    Teşekkürler. That makes sense -- my main problem was that none of the definitions given in the TDK dictionary seem to fit this context. If it had been "kesilmek", it would have been clearer I think.

7. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    Hi,

I think the following definition in TDK fits.
    kesmek Bir şeyin özelliği değişmek : Buğday kesti çavdarlaştı.
    Türkiye Türkçesi Ağızları Sözlüğü

:)