Ben bir hırsız değilim / ben hırsız değilim

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Sep 22, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

Makedonca
    Please anyone can tell me what is difference between those two? :)

2. ketcapov Junior Member

Turkish
    I would say there isn't a difference. We haven't a rule like English in this issue(a,an)

3. peptidoglycan Senior Member

Turkish
    In English it is obligatory to use articles like a, an, the. But in Turkish it is only a matter of preference or style. Your both sentences mean the same thing.

4. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Against general conclusion I will say there is difference between two:

Ben hırsız değilim=I am not the thief(perpetrator of this theft event). One is clearing him/herself of an accusation relevantly with a mentioned event.

Ben bir hırsız değilim=I am not a thief. (One is predefining him/herself irrelevantly of any event or accusation).

5. LunarLord Junior Member

Turkish
    In these two sentences, i agree with shafaq's point.

However for most people,in turkish, it is hard to tell the difference between using or not using the article "a" in other situations.

6. ketcapov Junior Member

Turkish
    I disagree. I think when you learn english, You created a logic in your mind and you think: this is same with english.

If you say, I m sure that.Have you a source about this grammer rule?

7. peptidoglycan Senior Member

Turkish
    You can say in Turkish:
    Ben öğrenciyim. Or
    Ben bir öğrenciyim.
    They mean the same. You don't need to say bir.
    In English you must use the article "a" or "an". I am a student.
    In German you must not use the article "ein". Ich bin Student.

8. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Just like LunarLord, I agree with shafaq. In the context that he gave, he's totally right. I don't think there is a rule on this: it's just a native feeling. It's got nothing to do with English.
    Ben hırsızım and Ben bir hırsızım can both be used, and in some contexts, one might sound better than the other.