BEng degree, {major/majoring} in EE

Discussion in 'English Only' started by EdisonBhola, Jan 9, 2013.

1. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    I am a university graduate with a Bachelor of Engineering degree, major in Electrical Engineering.

I am including the above on my cover letter. I want to make sure its correct.
    Please help and thank all! :)

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    We don't do general proofreading, which you should know as a senior member. If you have a specific concern, we'll try to help.

3. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    okay, let me rewrite it.

I am debating if I should use "major" or "majoring". My major concern.

Thank!

4. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    If I see "major" as verb, "majoring" look better. But if I see "major" as noun, "major" is correct.

5. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    If you have already graduated and have your degree, you are no longer majoring in anything. You majored (past tense) in something when you were in school. I would use "major."

If you were a student you could say that you were majoring in electrical engineering, but in that case you would not yet be a university graduate or have a degree.

6. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    So my original sentence is okay?

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I don't know if this is appropriate but Egmont could tell us: I have a BE (degree) in Electrical Engineering.

You don't need the "I am a university graduate," in my opinion -- your degree tells people that.

8. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It may be a bit redundant, but some people might think that a university graduate is better educated than someone who earned the same degree at a polytechnic institute or another type of school. (Whether or not that is true is a separate question.) If you don't think this matters in your situation, I would follow Copyright's suggestion and drop that part of the sentence.