Betcha by golly wow

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Azazel81, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Hi everyone,

First off, let me say I tried to check pretty much everywhere to find all possible meanings of this expression.

I found it first (of course) in a song by Prince, and then also in an episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer" (I don't remember which episode, I just remember it was Season 6, probably).
    In "Buffy" it was seemingly used as an exclamation or maybe to say something like "and immediately". But I never really did find out its real meaning (or meanings).

I know that "betcha" is the abbreviation for "you bet (your bottom dollar)" just like many other expressions (like "gotcha" which is "I got you"); of course I do know what "wow" means, and I know that "golly" means something like "oh my god"/"Jee"...

Does anyone have a real clue about this?

I'm sorry I can't give any more context, this is all I've got, and I was just curious to find out what it means.

2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Ciao!
    Before that, it was a famous song by the Stylistics (it came our LONG before you were born!:)).

It doesn't really mean anything, it's just an exclamation. I don't think you can render it literally in Italian....it would be something like "accidentiperbaccoecomesonocontento" :D

3. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Wow... or not wow?! :confused:

Ok, I may understand this meaning in Prince's song (and Stylistics' one), but then I don't understand its meaning in that episode of "Buffy, the vampire slayer". I don't remember exactly the sentence but I do remember it was something along these lines: "... you do this, you do that, and betcha by golly wow you have your magic working" (I beg the other fans of Buffy to forgive me for mistreating these lines... I'm getting older and trying to remember.. plus I'm at work and stressed so... :D).

4. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    E' sempre un'esclamazione.....accipicchia, per la miseriaccia, mamma mia, o qualcosa del genere!:D

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    The Buffy usage sounds anachro-hipster with a twist of irony. ;) It's using a dated expression of extreme delight in a matter-of-fact, detached way.

This is not an expression one hears much in every day life, and I urge you not to stress about it. :D

Elisabetta

P.S. I think some of us could use a refresher on how to quote judiciously. ;)

6. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    I know, trentina, I know.. I'm trying to get a grip on my quotations... :D Sometimes I just can't help it... I'm trying to heal, but I guess it takes time, so please just be patient :D

Now, about that usage of "betcha by golly wow" and about "Buffy": I know that in that TV Series they use a very popular though uncommon way of speaking which (please Azazel's mind, help me out here) I think is called something like "the slang of the valley" (referring to the Valley of... San Fernando?! :confused: I don't remember.. it was something like this.. I'm pretty sure).

And I know it's not commonly used (except in that part of America), another friend of mine (who's from NY) told me so.

Anyway, like I said, I was just curious to learn something about it, that's all... and who knows, maybe one day someone else will look up the dictionary for this expression and find this thread. :D

Thank you all (well, both, since it's just you two) for your explanations. I really appreciated. :)

7. drdj71 New Member

English

Betcha by golly is simply an old expression of certainty.
    e.g. Say you're out with a friend looking for a place you heard about but didn't have the name of, only a description. You see the place you think is it, you then turn to your friend and say, "I'll bet you by god that's it." or betcha by golly.
    :)