1. erick Senior Member

Los Angeles, California
    California, English
    This is from the end of a message:

"Si vous avez des questions, n'hésitez pas...
    Bien à vous,"

I've never seen "bien à vous" before. Is this common? And would it mean something like "wish you well?"

2. Talant

Talant Senior Member

Hi,

No, it's a way of saying "truly yours" although I've seen it only a couple of times.

Hope it helps

3. LaurentK

LaurentK Senior Member

Paris, France
    France, FrançaisIrlandais
    Dear Erick,
    The closest translation, I believe, is yours
    An idiomatic equivalent of Wish you well would be sincères salutations
    But sincères salutations is a short and colloquial version of (take a breath) je vous prie d'agréer l'expression de mes salutations distinguées
    The English counterpart of sincères salutations would be regards or kind regards
    So: bien à vous is more friendly than sincères salutations, but none of them should be used in (very) formal letters
    Bien à vous and Sincerely ;),
    LaurentK.

4. Safoudlidou

Safoudlidou Senior Member

Canada, french
    Marie-Eva de Villers (multidictionnaire) indique que l'expression "bien à vous" est à éviter, mais ne donne aucune explication. Quelqu'un saurait pourquoi? Perso, je ne vois pas pourquoi son usage serait à proscrire...

5. Marcewa Senior Member

Brussels
    France / French
    "Bien à vous" is very commonly used in Belgium, and not in France.

6. samdebretagne Junior Member

Bretagne
    USA, English
    I think it is also used in Canada - at least that's the only time I've ever seen it used is by a Franco-canadian.

7. alix567 New Member

belgium, usa
    belgium french
    l'expression Bien à vous est tout a fait acceptable à la fin d'une lettre, on peut également utiliser l'expression "cordialement"

8. Camis12 Senior Member

London
    England, English
    I have seen it used in France on many occasions

9. Jivatma75 New Member

Greece
    That's right!!! I just received a letter from a Belgian partner ending like this. I think best translation is something like "sincerely yours".

10. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    C'est connu en Suisse également (sans pour autant être courant). D'accord pour la traduction Yours (truly/sincerely).

11. swissmiss Junior Member

UK
    English, England
    The only time I've seen it is in emails from Belgian people - I'd never seen it before today when corresponding with Swiss and France-based French speakers and yet as soon as I have started emailing Belgian people, I see it from 2 people in 1 day!

12. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    It's quite common in Canada and the equivalent of the English salutation "Sincerely," (without the 'yours') in business correspondence (both letters and email).

13. itake New Member

Catalan,Spanish - Spain
    I have received it from a email of French people.

Bien à vous. -salva-

14. jlan Junior Member

Eng/Fra/Deu
    very common in France too

15. Malcius Senior Member

English - England
    I've encountered "Bien à vous !" at the beginning of an email. Could it be something like "Greetings!" in this context?

16. Ali. Junior Member

France
    Français
    Hi,

I think I'll agree with your translations but, you're wrong - if I may - about "Bien à vous". It is, actually, the most formal phrase that can be used at the end of a letter or email etc. Of course, depending on who your talking to, you shall use it or not. But to be clear, if you have to send a letter/email/note etc. to a professor, a director, a manager, etc. you SHALL use it ! and none of the other phrases you enumerated. It is actually clever. It's a short phrase, polite, and there are no possibility to think that you aim to "corrupt" the adressee by any kind or suspicious phrases. In French, "salutations" is not that formal. And, even if you add all this "blabla" which is "je vous prie d'agréer l'expression de.... distinguées", it still means that you're expecting something back -as in a cover letter (sorry, don't know if it actually is correct, I'm talking about those letters that explain "why the employer should chose you and not your best friend John" etc.).

I hope I helped some of you guys. Wish you luck, whatever what you're doing here.

"Bien à vous". ;)

Oh, and to those who said it wasn't "normal" to use it for French people, it is actually true. But, it's not that it is incorrect, it's that people are being incorrect !!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  17. Belle23 New Member

English - Jamaica
    I lived in the south of France for 2 years. Teachers that I knew and had interacted with on many occasions used bien à vous in emails. "Je vous prie d'agréer l'expression....distinguées" can be a lot more standard business professional/impersonal. I saw it all the time in letters from my bank.

18. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    "Bien à vous" is back in fashion since we use emails in business relationships. It's a way to diversify emails ending, so that it doesn't appear too "automatic" when you have an email conversation. You can use "cordialement", then vary with "bien cordialement", "très cordialement", "sincèrement", "bien/très sincèrement", and "bien à vous / à toi".