1. sarahstw New Member

montreal
    Native English speaker in Quebec, Canada
    How would you say "big boss" in Spanish? The dictionary says: big boss
    nm jefazobut for a woman would it be "jefaza"?

2. Whisky con ron Senior Member

Scotland
    Venezuela / Español
    Yes, jefaza is correct

3. Juan Carlos Garling

Juan Carlos Garling Senior Member

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    I would advise you to reflect on in what context you wish to use big boss.

At least here it is colloquial to denote :
    'he is quite a boss, a good one, the kind of boss you would like to have, it's a privilege to have such a boss'
    It implies a dose of sympathy.

Perhaps you wish to refer to a big boss in the upper levels of an organization or the mafia.

4. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    You're right, Juan Carlos, we need to know the context. Is it a "big boss" in a family, a small company, in a religious organization, a large corporation, or perhaps the mafia, etc.

Saludos.

5. Juan Carlos Garling

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    This is not an easy task at it may depend on the context of the story. I don't believe you would use big boss in a formal text, so perhaps you could use words in a figurative sense. I have the feeling that you wish to use an equivalent of big boss to denote somebody who runs the show with authority, with an undisputed leadeship, etc.

So for instance padrino = godfather has become a word coined after Al Pacino's film to depict such a person, but this would apply to somebody who rules a family and, of course, a mafia character.

Somebody who rules a congregation with firm hand and has a large following is sometimes un cacique = a chieftain.

Or else we may think about using adjectives with jefe.

A bit of context would be useful to find what can fit into the picture, especially if you wish a translation for different scenarios. By no means use jefazo, because this does not convey the idea of a big boss.

6. Juan Carlos Garling

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    I spent a sleepless night trying to make out a reasonable translation for big boss only to realize this morning that I had not seen the wood because of the many trees.

We sometimes use to say gran jefe = big boss to refer to the highest ranking authority in a company, workshop, organization, be it the general manager, director, supervisor, foreman.

'Vino el gran jefe en una gira de inspección'.
    'The big boss came on an inspection tour'.