1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Bihibek ad el-sama wo arad بحبك قد السما والأرض

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by catiedid, Dec 11, 2010.

1. catiedid New Member

english
    Hi I was wondering if you could tell me in English what my friend is saying to me. He said "Bihibek ad el-sama wo arad.Bihibek ya hilwa. Ma3a 7oby men moshkeltak el lazeeza." I am thinking maybe I should buy an Arabic to English dictionary.

2. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Hi Catiedad and welcome to the forums.

This says:

My love for you is as big as the sky and earth. I love you, sweet stuff.

This part I am not sure of. A word for word translation would be:

With my love [is] among/from your nice problem.

...which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    Ma3a 7oby men moshkeltak el lazeeza

I think he's saying:

With love from "your lovely problem" (i.e. him)

4. Annie_Hall Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    ad el-sama

I wanted to ask about this "ad". Is this the equivalent of "qad" in MSA? Can you give me another example of its use ? Thanks

5. Masjeen Senior Member

Arabian Gulf
    Arabic
    Yes it is the same word but with a different pronunciation.

6. ronniemagia New Member

Arabic - Palestinian
    Actually, it's very different from the MSA "qad". In MSA, qad is a particle that is used to make the action either completed حرف تحقيق (before a verb in the past) ... or might be completable حرف تشكيك (before a verb in the present)

examples: قد شربت الماء I already drank the water
    قد أشرب الماء I may (or may not) drink the water

but this "ad" in dialects is not a particle but a word that means "as much/many as"

example: شربت مي قد ما بدي I drank as much water as I wanted

7. Masjeen Senior Member

Arabian Gulf
    Arabic

أنت الأن تخلط.. هنالك كلمتان الأولى قد بفتح القاف وتسكين الدال والثانية بفتح القاف وضم الدال
    معنى الأولى هو لا يزيد عن كونه حرف يدخل على الفعل الماضي أما الثانية فهي بمعنى المقدار

والكلمتان حاليا تستعملان باللهجة الخليجية لكن بنطق مختلف بطبيعة الحال

8. ronniemagia New Member

Arabic - Palestinian
    i dont think I'm mixing, I was talking about MSA's "qad" which is a particle حرف تحقيق او تشكيك depending on the tense of the verb after it. Now "ad" which is used in dialects to mean "as much/many as" also comes from MSA, but from a different word, which is قدر "qadr". so "ad" is sort of like a shortened from "qadr"

in the example i gave above "شربت مي قد ما بدي" in MSA would be "شربت ماءاً بقدر ما اردت"

now I don't know much about Khaleeji dialects, so maybe there's another word "qadu" meaning "amount" which may also have influenced the modern dialects. but as far as what I wrote above, I don't think I made any mistakes. I only talk about what I know, and if there's something I missed, then that doesn't mean what I wrote was wrong.

9. Annie_Hall Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
  10. Masjeen Senior Member

Arabian Gulf
    Arabic
    تقدر تراجع المعجم

11. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Yes, that may be right.

To put it succinctly, there are two different words. Depending on transliteration there can be some confusion (which seems to be the case here). The words are:

قَدْ (qad): This is a particle (not noun) which is used before verbs and indicates (1) the completion of an action if used before past tense verbs or (2) doubt (often translated as may or might) if used before present tense verbs.

قَدّ (qadd): This is a noun meaning size or extent. In dialects in which the ق is pronounced like an أ it will be pronounced as '2ad' or '2add.' This is the word used in the OP.

Please note the use of the double 'd' in my transliteration of the shadda over the 'd' in قَدّ and to differentiate it from قَدْ in my transliteration of the words. When both words are transliterated as qad it can lead to confusion.

Both of these words are used in MSA. As for قَدْ it is not used in the Egyptian dialect, and I don't think it is used in most dialects, but my be used in some (I'm not sure).

So قدّ السما (add is-sama) would literally be "the extent or size of the sky." A literal translation of the phrase in the OP would be" I love you the extent of the sky and earth," meaning, of course, a lot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  12. MarcB Senior Member

US English