binge and purge

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by christineglez, Aug 30, 2005.

1. christineglez Member

USA / English
    Field and topic:
    I am trying to find the term for binge and purge. It is when someone who is bulimic eats a lot of food and then throws it all up. But I need a general word, one that would work with any addiction. It is the idea of binging and purging or doing something in excess and then trying to get rid of it.
    Any ideas?????

Sample sentence:
    Most addicts binge and then feel despair much like a bulimic will binge and purge.

2. pachirubio

pachirubio Member

English - Scientific Jargon

Curious question. The problem is to find something you can apply to a variety of situations from a drug addict to a pregnant cow:

For binge I think the best is “hartarse” to get fed up of something, or "atiborrarse" to get stuffed, both reflexive verbs.

For purge I simply cannot find a common term as they vary depending on the exit orifice. Only “soltar” as “release” could fir in my oipinion, then again I am not an expert.

One option: atiborrarse y soltarlo todo después.
  3. exe Senior Member

Punta Arenas
    Hartazgo(satiation) y alivio(purge). But I don't know the medical termos for this... Saludos.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  4. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hola Exe y Christine.
    ¡Por fin llegué al Wiley's Dictionary of Psychology and Psychiatry!

binge = hartazgo
    binge eating = hartazgo del comer

purge = purga (Harper Collins Unabridged Spanish Dictionary)

5. ernlato New Member

I have heard "llenarse vorazmente y eliminar". Also, "engullir y vomitar" . ??
  6. Oceanest Senior Member

Spain Spanish

en el contexto de la bulimia, se habla de 'atracón' y 'vómitos'. Así de crudo, qué le vamos a hacer.

Respecto a la frase completa yo diría:
    'Muchos adictos presentan la misma ansiedad seguida de malestar que experimentan los bulímicos con sus atracones y vómitos'.

Suerte. Esther