birthday celebrant or celebrator

Discussion in 'English Only' started by epistolario, Sep 13, 2008.

1. epistolario

epistolario Senior Member

Philippines
    Tagalog
    Here, we call someone who celebrates his birthday a birthday celebrant. For example, there is a party and a relative comes in and asks: Who is the celebrant? Some people will tell him it's Peter's birthday today or simply answer "Peter".

However, local English trainers consider this term a Filipinoism. They say that the correct term is celebrator because a celebrant is the officiating priest in a Eucharist or mass. But there is another English trainer who pointed out that the two are actually interchangeable. And it seems that the latter is correct. When I looked up my Merriam-Webster unabridged, it says:

b : one who participates in any noisy party (as one at which there is a good deal of drinking)

And this is what Wordreference Dictionary says:

2 celebrant, celebrator, celebrater: a person who is celebrating

Is it correct to use the word celebrant to refer to those celebrating their birthday? Is it a commonly used term when you attend birthday parties? If not, how would you inform someone that it is somebody's birthday? Even if the term is correct, I don't think it sounds natural to you. Please give expressions used by native speakers. Thank you.

2. Matamoscas Senior Member

Ireland English
    I would never use this term, or any of them, for someone having a birthday party; they are far too formal.
    Whose birthday is it? Whose party is it? would be the expressions I would use and expect to hear. Even we are celebrating Jim's birthday would seem a little strange, as if you did not think he would make it through the year.
    I note that the Latin verb when it means celebrate also means solemnise as in a public assembly, hence the Mass and marriage usage.

3. epistolario

Philippines
    Tagalog
    Thanks. How about in other English-speaking regions?

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Well, in my "English from England" variety, we wouldn't say "celebrant" or "celebrator" either....

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I agree with Loob. Looking at examples on the web, I found most of them to be strained and unnatural sounding. Both words are too formal for the occasion, in my view, and at worst sound pretentious. The dictionaries may well agree that they are literally suitable, but that's not always very helpful in choosing natural English vocabulary.

6. Alma Shofner Senior Member

California (wine country)
    Mexican Spanish from Sonora
    To add to Matamoscas, we will say here in CA. Whose birthday we are celebrating?
    Regards

7. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I think celebrating or forms of the verb celebrate are fine, although I think they would tend to occur in announcements or reports about birthdays, rather than informal conversation, as I think they are a little formal. But these words for the person celebrating just don't sound natural to me.

8. epistolario

Philippines
    Tagalog
    Thanks.

I think, based on Merriam-Webster unabridged entry of "celebrant":

one who participates in any noisy party (as one at which there is a good deal of drinking)

It is not necessarily the one who is celebrating but also includes the guests. But it seems that it is rarely used and is restricted to formal writing.

9. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hi,

I don't recall ever using or hearing "celebrant" (but that doesn't say much, really). Usually I'd ask "who's the birthday boy/girl?"

10. Cathy_J New Member

Russian
    Maybe "the hero of the day" would do instead of "celebrant" or "celebrator"?

11. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    A celebrant is a person who officiates at a liturgical or similar ceremony.

Pope Francis celebrated Mass. Pope Francis was the celebrant at the Easter Vigil Mass.

The Patriarch of Moscow was the chief celebrant at the consecration of the Bishop of Serpukhov.

Mary and John were married in Causton Castle by a civil marriage celebrant.

Nothing whatever to do with celebrating birthdays.

12. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Informally, in BrE, we often ask "Who's the birthday boy / birthday girl?" This is irrespective of the age of the 'celebrant' (a word never used in that context) - they could be over 80!

13. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If we didn't know the sex of the celebrant/celebrator/celebrity -- :) -- we might say, "Whose birthday is it?" And post 6 has the equally appropriate: Whose birthday we are celebrating?

14. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Whose birthday are we celebrating?, you mean?;) I'd say that too (along with 'Whose birthday is it?' etc).;)

Celebrant
    sounds far too formal to these London ears as well.:)

15. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English