1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

bis es dran wäre

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by englishman, Jan 13, 2013.

1. englishman Senior Member

English England
    'Trotz des strengen Reglements wird die Kita mit Anfragen überhäuft. Jeden Tag riefen mindestens zwei Interessenten an, erzählt Brinkmann. Für dieses Jahr seien alle Plätze bereits vergeben. Eine Warteliste führe sie längst nicht mehr: „Wenn ich eine hätte, wäre das Kind schon eingeschult, bis es dran wäre.“'

I don't understand the meaning of the final sentence, in particular the final "bis es dran wäre". What does "dran" refer to? The waiting list? Is the meaning "If I had one, the child would already be in school, before he was put on the waiting list"?

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    I think there is irony here. The interest of parents to put their children in that institution ("Kita") is great. So, if there was a waiting list, it would be too long and the parents would have to wait many years. As a consequence, the child would already be in school, when it would come its turn to go to "Kita".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  3. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Es" refers to "das Kind" (the child) and "dran sein" means "to be next".

So she says: "If I had a waiting list, the child would be already in school when he/she is next (on the list)."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    As your translation makes clear, es refers to the child.

5. englishman Senior Member

English England
    OK Thanks. Yes, I'd forgotten that idiom, and I wouldn't have recognised it when used in the subjunctive form anyway.

However, I can't see why you need to point out what "es" refers to - there is only one possibility, isn't there? Or is there some other interpretation possible that I'm not seeing?