bis, ter, quater, quinquies

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by shreck2, Feb 26, 2009.

1. shreck2 Senior Member

Spain
    Ciao!

I have a document with filling specifications, and I find the following terms that I do not know how to translate...

(1) --> no problem
    (1 bis) --> no problem
    (1 ter) --> ?
    (1 quinquies?) --> NO IDEA...

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    Hello,
    those expressions come from Latin, they're used for example to indicate subparagraphs under the same paragraph.
    Ter would be three/third (just like bis is two/second), and quinquies would be five/fifth.
    Your list could also include quater: four/fourth.

Imagine those lines written as:

Does that help?

Ciao :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. shreck2 Senior Member

Spain

Thank you! :) It helps a lot!

4. Smilerose

Smilerose Senior Member

Ciao,

Ho visitato il forum al riguardo di "quinquies", ok significa "il quinto" ma comunque non sono sicura se posso tradurlo semplicement come :

"referred to in Article 615- the fifth of the Penal Code" oppure lasciarlo nella forma latina :confused::

"referred to in Article 615-quinquies of the Penal Code".

I nativi sanno come è meglio fare?
    Grazie

5. pescara Senior Member

Connecticut
    English-USA
    Direi: Article 615, paragraph 5.

Ciao.

6. Smilerose

Smilerose Senior Member

Allora mi domando perchè chi ha scritto il testo non ha semplicemente detto Articolo 615, par.5?

7. evrix

evrix Senior Member

rome
    italian
    I'm not really sure, but probably it indicates a later addiction to the original: formerly there was, say, a paragraph 1.2 and a paragraph 1.3, as they need to put a new paragraph between them they create a paragraph 1.2bis (and so on) in order not to change the following numbering.

8. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    No, bis/quinquies etc...do not refer to something that's been added. It's just that the law-judicial jargon in Italy makes a VERY wide use of Latin terms (a fortiori, sub specie etcc.. tons of examples!!). That's it.
    I'd say 'fifth paragraph'

9. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Actually, they say "comma", not "paragrafo" in this case.:) Check it out on Google!;)

10. marco.cur Senior Member

Art. 1
    Art. 1 bis
    Art. 1 ter
    Art. 1 quater
    Art. 1 quinquies

sono 5 articoli distinti, gli articoli da 1 bis a 1 quinquies sono articoli aggiunti a una legge preesistente in sede di modifica, per non cambiare tutta la numerazione della legge. Così l'articolo 2 della legge nella formulazione originale è sempre l'articolo 2, anche nella legge modificata.

Il testo di una legge che ne modifica un'altra è del tipo:
    Art. 1:
    «l'art. 1 della legge xx è modificato come segue: ....»

Art. 2:
    «dopo l'art. 1 della legge xx sono aggiunti i seguenti articoli:
    art. 1 bis: ... »
    etc. etc. etc.

Siccome è in latino, li lascerei non tradotti (1 bis, 1 ter ...).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  11. Smilerose

Smilerose Senior Member

After google-ing it, I got the meaning and I leave it in the latin form!
    Ma grazie ancora di aver confermato la mia scelta, essendo io, purtroppo, ignorante in materia!
    ;-)

12. Glossolalia Junior Member

English - United States
    I would say stick with the Latin. It could refer to paragraphs, but "bis", "ter", etc. often refer to separate items altogether. For example, in an address, "123bis" would be the equivalent of the English address "123 1/2"; it is a separate address that was added later, between 123 and 124. The same can be true of legal articles.