1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

black veil and white veil.

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Russianer, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Russianer Senior Member

Russia,St.-Petersburg City.
    Russian language- Russia.
    How to say in Greek a phrase "black veil and white veil"?
    -----------------------------------------------
    About a word "white" I did find 3 words: "άσπρος"(Aspros), "λευκός"(Levkos), "χλωμός"(Hlomos).
    What are the difference between the white words "άσπρος"(Aspros), "λευκός"(Levkos), "χλωμός"(Hlomos) in the Greek language??

About a word "black" I did find 2 words: "μαύρος"("Mavros") and "Melanos".
    What are the difference between the black words "μαύρος"("Mavros") and "Melanos" in Greek language?

About a word "a veil" (вуаль)" I did not find any word.
    ------------------------------------------------

How to say in Greek a phrase "black veil and white veil"?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. Tetina

Tetina Senior Member

Athens
    Greece / greek
    aspros = leukos = whitehlomos = pale"Melanos" in ancient greek meant "mauros" but nowadays it remained in this meaning only in fe fixed phrases. In modern greek "melanos" means "bruised"."Veil" has two words:"peplo" = πέπλο and "velo" = βέλο. Depends on the meaning.So it's something like that: "Μαύρο βέλο και λευκό βέλο". Sorry for the appearance but my paragraphing doesn't appear.

3. Russianer Senior Member

Russia,St.-Petersburg City.
    Russian language- Russia.
    Hi, Tetina. Good morning. :)
    Thank you.

2 words? What is a difference between words "peplo"(πέπλο) and "belo"(βέλο) in Greek language?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  4. Tetina

Tetina Senior Member

Athens
    Greece / greek
    The meaning is the same, only "peplo" is ancient greek and "velo" italian. I would say that "velo" is used for that cloth which is fixed to a hat, covers only the front of the face and is like net though "peplo" is more like a whole fabric that covers all head and face.For example, the hat of the 40's (I think) with small net in front had a "velo". The bride has a "peplo".