Blind date

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by DreamerX, Jul 10, 2014.

1. DreamerX Junior Member

Hi, I was wondering whether you had a similar term in your language that referred to two people who had never previously met going out on a date, which is usually arranged by a mutual acquaintance of the two. Does your equivalent also contain a reference to blindness, or is it something else entirely? I’d be very curious to know.
  2. bibax Senior Member

Czech: schůzka naslepo

naslepo = blind(ly), haphazardly, at random;

naslepo (an adverbial expression written together) < na slepo; slepo - neuter form of the adjective slepý = blind; na = prep. on;

(a similar adv. expression but with slightly different meaning: poslepu < po slepu = without looking, blindfold; e.g. umí psát poslepu = he can write without looking/blindfold)

The title of the American movie "Blind dating" was transtated into Czech as well as into Slovak:

Rande naslepo (colloq. rande < rendez-vous) (the main character was actually blind)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Italian: "Appuntamento al buio"

(Literally: "appuntamento" = date; "al buio" = in the dark)
  4. Словеса Senior Member

I think, in Russian I would have to describe this completely: "встреча двух незнакомых людей, организованная их общим знакомым" ("a meeting of two non-acquainted people, organised by their mutual acquaintance"). The word "вслепую" ("blindly") does mean "haphazardly", "without evaluating consequences", but I don't see how such event is haphazard if it is arranged: the mutual acquaintance is not "blind"!
  5. bibax Senior Member

IMHO встреча вслепую sounds good in Russian.

The Russian title of the mentioned American movie is: «Свидание вслепую»

< в слепую; слепой (slepoy) = blind;
  6. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Same here. We don't have such a term either.
  7. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    A few years back, I would have had a hard time finding a translation (in this thread, some even suggested keeping the English term, something not everyone would have understood I think).
    Now, in French, I would say:
    "rendez-vous arrangé" (arranged date)
    ("rendez-vous avec un(e) inconnu(e)" (date with a stranger))
  8. Словеса Senior Member

It sounds good, but it means no thing. It is impossible to understand it.
    Of course, whan that movie appeared, the translators had to make some title for it.
  9. bibax Senior Member

There are even some articles on Wikipaedia on "blind date", but only in main European languages (including Russian) and probably Chinese and Korean (I see merely squares).

And indeed the English term "blind date" is used in French and German.

There is also a note in the French article:
    Blind date est un expression anglaise qui peut se traduire par « rencontre à l'aveugle ».

10. Словеса Senior Member

Same there, actually: they had to invent a name, so they did. Note that the article lists no Russian sources.
    As I said, I would refer to that descriptively: он ходил на свидания с незнакомыми девушками (he went to dates with girls he did not know). It sounds silly, but truthful. ;-)
    By the way, these languages are Japan and Korean. If you hover the mouse pointer on the names of the languages, the tip will appear with the local name of the language. Also, Thai.
  11. ilocas2 Senior Member

this is a movie from 2006

some other movies with similar names were translated into Czech like this:

Blind Date (1958) - Schůzka naslepo
    Blind Date (1984) - Slepý, který viděl
    Blind Date (1987) - Schůzka naslepo
    Blind Date (1996) - Rande naoko
    Blind Date (2007) - Rande naoko
    Blind Date (2010) - Rande naslepo
    Blind Dates (2013) - Schůzky naslepo
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Spanish (Español): "Cita a ciegas"

cita - date

ciegas - blind
  13. Diamant7

Diamant7 Senior Member

In Catalan I'd say "cita a cegues". It must be a Spanish calque, however.
  14. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I've read encontro às cegas in Portuguese, though I don't know if anyone actually uses this phrase, other than as the translation of the English one.
  15. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek both the expression (and the name of the movie) is «Ραντεβού στα τυφλά» [rande'vu sta ti'fla] --> rendezvous in the blind

«Ραντεβού» [rande'vu] (neut.) < Fr. Rendez-vous
    «Τυφλά» [ti'fla] (adv.) < Classical adj. «τυφλός, -λὴ, -λόν» tūpʰlós (masc.), tūpʰl (fem.), tūpʰlón (neut.) --> blind, dark, blocked, clogged (PIE *dʰeubʰ-, foggy cf Proto-Germanic *daubaz, to be stunned, deaf, be obscure > Ger. taub, Eng. deaf, Dt. doof, D./N. døv, Swe. döv)
  16. YellowOnline

YellowOnline Senior Member

Berlin, Germany
    Dutch - Belgium
    Dutch also lends the English word. The official dictionary somehow manages to use another loan word (from French) to explain it: "rendez-vous met een onbekende" ("rendez-vous with an unknown"). Strange, because rendez-vous does have a good translation: "afspraakje" (meaning 'an appointment' in its base form but 'a date' in its diminutive form).