blocked section and irregular college students

Discussion in 'English Only' started by epistolario, Nov 23, 2008.

1. epistolario

epistolario Senior Member

I don't know what terms you are using, but here, we use the following:

a) We call blocked section a group of students of the same course or degree. They will have the same professors in all courses. In some universities, this only happens in the first year. In other schools, students will be part of the same block of students until they graduate; they will see the same faces and will have the same professors in all their courses all the time.

b) Those who are not part of a blocked section of students are called irregular students. It means they will unlikely see the same faces in each course. They will usually meet different classmates in each course: Math I, History II, Biology 101, Chem 11, etc.

EDIT: Do you also use the terms blocked section and irregular in those contexts? Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    Was there a (grammar/usage) question that you wanted answered?
  3. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    I think most college faculty and administrators would understand "blocked section"; however, I generally hear this called "block scheduling" or "block schedules." Calling the students who are not in blocked sections "irregular students" would probably not be understood at all; and I know of no AE equivalent of the term.
  4. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    While working on my Master's degree, all students who entered the program at the same time were referred to as a cohort, and we all took the same courses from the same professors (though we were often divided into several sections of the same course).

I'm not familiar with the use of the term block scheduling at the university level. However, at the secondary level, block scheduling refers to particular types of class scheduling, in which students attend classes for longer periods of time every other day.
    For example, students would have four classes on Mondays and Wednesdays for 90 minutes, each class, then they would have their other four classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays (also 90 minutes each). In one variation, this continues every other day. In another variation, students attend all eight classes for a shorter period of time on Fridays (40-45 minutes each).

Two terms used (in secondary schools) for what you describe as a blocked section are pods or teaming. A group of 100-150 students would have the same four teachers for all of their 'core subjects': English, Math, Science, and History. Pod can also refer to the physical configuration of a group of classes, and teaming can also refer to a group of teachers who work together to plan lessons for the same subject or grade level, so the meanings are not universal...