1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

bloom vs blossom

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Dalian, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Dalian

Dalian Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Mandarin
    Hello~
    I'd like to know what's the difference between "bloom" and "blossom". I looked them up in the dictionary, only to find similar definitions.
    When used as nouns, both of them mean "flower".
    When used as verbs, they mean "produce flowers".
    I got really confused...
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Dalian

2. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    In american Idol, Simon once said to a singer: your performance was blossoming.
    I like this saying.

3. bartonig Senior Member

UK English
    Noun: A bloom is an individual growth from a plant. Blossom is either all the blooms you see on a tree (cherry blossom, for example) or an individual bloom in the tree. So, blossom is associated with trees. In both cases the unopened is called a bud.

Verb: You should be able to work out the literal meaning of the verbs from the above paragraph. However, they can be used metaphorically. Someone, for example, could blossom or bloom: a skill or ability could suddenly develop. You could also speak about the blossoming or blooming of something.

4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Another use of bloom is the green stuff you get growing in sluggish water in the summer. These are called algal blooms.

5. Dalian

Dalian Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Mandarin
    Thank you for all your help:)

6. Dmitry_86

Dmitry_86 Senior Member

A very interesting explanation. Let us, nonetheless, clarify some aspects of these words. Two days ago when we were walking in a park with my guest and they notice very beautiful floweres, a gentleman asked: "Oh, they are blooming! I have never seen this before!" The meaning is doubtless clear, but is it possible to use "blossom" here in the same meaning?

What is the difference between "ON a tree" and "IN the tree". Why different prepositions? Why have they been changed? One more thing is vague: you say that a bloom is an an individual growth and then add that a blossom can be an individual bloom in the tree. Too confusing and difficult tom understand....:confused:

Please be so kind as to explain. Many would be grateful.

Yours

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I think M-W's definitions are useful here, Dmitry: "blossom": 1 a of plants : to put forth flowers : come into bloom :

Here's "bloom": 1 : to produce or yield blossoms : flower or be in flower :

Both words mean the same thing. You can use either one with whatever tense makes sense. Just remember that both verbs are intransitive, and you'll have no problems with either one. Remember also that both verbs can be used with any flowering plant. It doesn't matter whether it's a tree or an herb: if it flowers, it can either blossom or bloom.

Regarding your last question about the preposition to use with the nouns "blossom" or "bloom": I generally say that blossoms are budding out on a tree.

8. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Really? That sounds a little strange to me, I strongly associate trees with blossom and flowers with bloom. Is this just me, or is it a pointer to another case of slightly different usage?

9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I'm glad you mentioned this, Cirrus. Along with you, I'm more inclined to use blossom with trees though I don't do so exclusively. As for nouns for flowers on the trees, I usually use "blossom" with fruit trees and indigenous hardwoods, but the minute I see any tree with big tropical flowers, I go right back to "bloom". For some reason, I use "bloom" more when talking about shrubs, though I've heard others use "blossom" for this subject.

10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Sorry to revive this subject, but in another forum (English-Spanish) there is a participant who insists that the verb "bloom" can only be applied to trees, while the verb to apply in the case of shrubs and smaller plants it to "flower". More clearly perhaps: a rosebush flowers when it is producing flowers (roses), but it cannot bloom or blossom; and an apple tree blooms or blossoms when it's producing flowers, although I'n not sure if he objects to the use of the verb "flower" in this case.

I have read all the threads I found when i performed a search for "bloom" in this forum, and I couldn't find in any of them conclusive evidence to prove that he is either wrong or right. Is there any caritative and knowledgeable soul willing to clarify this for me?

11. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Not that I am an expert but bloom could be pretty much any flower in British English. It could also be a description of what happens with yeast in fermentation processes. As for bloom - the Britain in Bloom campaign is principally about flowers rather than trees. Blossom here tends to be used more with trees.

12. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Thanks for your quick reply, cirrus. You had already shown that you are in the group of those who think that anything that can put forth flowers of any kind or size "blooms", and is "in bloom" when covered with them, be it the tiniest herb or a most gigantic tree. My question is if the majority of native English speakers thinks the same, or are rather convinced that herbs and small plants that cannot be classified as trees can only "flower", but not "bloom".

13. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Flower, bloom, blossom. They can all three mean the same thing, and they can all mean different things. It depends on the context, and the differences in meaning can be very subtle, especially when including figurative or poetic meanings.

Tree, shrub. I don't know that there is a clear distinction.

A nandina bush blooms, but a pine tree does not.

A flower blooms. When all the flowers on a plant bloom at the same time, the plant is blooming. If only some of the flowers on a plant bloom, I probably would not say the plant is blooming.

I hope this helps.

14. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Thanks, Forero, it does help in getting me a little closer to the answer to my question.

Would you say that all flowers, including those of small herbs, bloom? And that when all the flowers of that small herb bloom at the same time, the herb is blooming/in bloom?

Please remember that I am asking this because a participant in another thread in another forum has been insisting that only trees bloom, while smaller plants flower.

15. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    I don't think this person's take is backed up by usage as captured by dictionaries. Look at this from Collin's. "
    1 [COLOR=#0]a blossom on a flowering plant; a flower [/COLOR]

2 [COLOR=#0]the state, time, or period when flowers open (esp. in the phrases in bloom, in full bloom) [/COLOR]

3 [COLOR=#0]open flowers collectively [/COLOR]
    a tree covered with bloom

4 [COLOR=#0]a healthy, vigorous, or flourishing condition; prime (esp. in the phrase the bloom of youth

Unless you restrict the meaning of the word to a collective opening of flowers, it is difficult to see how you can say bloom is restricted to trees, quite apart from its roots which proudly shout the word flower.
    [/COLOR]

16. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

As verbs, "bloom" and "flower" are more prosaic and "blossom" is more poetic.
    "Bloom" tends to be more for ornamentals. You might say "This tomato plant is blooming/in bloom," but you would be more likely to say it's "flowering."
    Oldy, what's the link to the other thread? I know a little about horticulture and I've never come across any distinction like you mentioned.

17. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Thanks, cirrus and K.

K, the thread is this one

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2164361

and I am afraid that you will have to read at least the first few messages to understand where the problem lies, although the problem begins in message #10, where the use of "bloom" is questioned.

Incidentally, the "desierto florido" phenomenon is described here

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desierto_florido

and it's clear even from the photos that flowers are been produced by small plants, most of them well-know native ones.

Addition: I liked fenixpollo's suggestion "Desert in bloom" mostly because it sounds nice to my ears and all the flowers open in a very short time of about two weeks.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  18. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I would say "desert in bloom" too. It's pretty standard.
    Evidently the "distinction" is based on someone's interpretation of dictionary entries. I think you can safely disregard it ;)

19. scrotgrot Senior Member

English - English
    The distinction is very fine, but to me, as a native speaker, blossom is for flowers on trees and bloom is for flowers on other plants. For instance, the tree is blossoming but the flowers are blooming. It might be something to do with the fact that a tree has many flowers but a "flower" like a bluebell only has one per plant, because I'd also say a hedge or bush would blossom.

Metaphorically, blossom tends to be used a lot more widely, and has the sense of coming to fruition, but to me, the metaphorical sense of bloom has more of an overtone of youth to it too, as similarly connoted by the season of spring.

Also, note that in (slightly outmoded) British English we have the minced oath blooming for bloody/bleeding!

20. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

A lot (if not most) of herbaceous plants have multiple blooms/flowers. I think "blossom" is most closely associated with fruit trees just through collocations: the Cherry Blossom Festival, apple blossom time, etc. But "blossom" does carry a faint suggestion of fruit to come. An example that comes to mind is blossom end rot, a condition of tomatoes and other vegetables. Also, Bradford pear trees are sterile and you don't think of them as having blossoms, you think of them as blooming.

21. SC_newbie New Member

S Carolina, USA
    English
    k-in-sc, I really like your answer and it seems to have the merit to confirm my writing a sequence of "bud, blossom, bloom"...I am not an expert in such matters but I do research in words since I am a writer...my thought is first the bud then the blossom [opening of bud] then the bloom [completion as "in full bloom" for "full flower"...I also agree the context is important...and for any trying to learn English, THIS must be frustrating for them because I am native English and it frustrates me but words are also the paintbrushes of the tongue and I love them! btw I am new here and excited about finding this site!!

22. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I have always thought of it in that order as well. A rosebud opens into a blossom. When it is completely open it is a bloom. "From bud to blossom to bloom" sounds very, very familiar to me, but I can't think of the source, whether Biblical or Shakespearean or elsewhere.

It gets more confusing when you find sentences like "When do the cherry blossoms bloom?" :)

23. SC_newbie New Member

S Carolina, USA
    English
    :) I agree ... English is a riot!