blow up the bridge

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

How would you say "blow up the bridge"?
    For the verb blow up we use one verb, but I wonder other languages have just one verb, if I am not mistaken most languages use phrases.

English: blow up the bridge [i.e. destroy the bridge by explosion]
    hidat felrobbant (hidat = the bridge)
    Czech: vyhodit
    most do vzduchu
  2. kirahvi Senior Member

Finnish: räjäyttää silta (silta = bridge)
  3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Hebrew: To Blow up the bridge - לפוצץ את הגשר
  4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

To blow up the bridge
    --> «Ανατινάζω τη γέφυρα» [anati'nazo ti 'ʝefira]
    Blow up the bridge! (imperative) --> «Ανατίναξε/ανατινάξτε τη γέφυρα!» [ana'tinakse (2nd person sing.)/anati'nakste (2nd person pl.) ti 'ʝefira]

Colloquially we can use the verb «τινάζω» instead, e.g «τινάζω τη γέφυρα» [ti'nazo ti 'ʝefira] (instead of «ανατινάζω»)

v. «ανατινάζω» [anati'nazo] --> to blow up; from the Classical verb «ἀνατινάσσω» anati'nassō --> to brandish, shake up and down. Compound, prefix and preposition «ἀνὰ» ă'nă -- > on, up, above, throughout (PIE base *h₂en, cognate with Eng. on) + verb «τινάσσω» ti'nassō --> to shake, quiver (with obscure etymology)

Fem. noun «γέφυρα» ['ʝefira], a Classical fem. noun «γέφυρα» 'gĕpʰură --> bridge, with obscure etymology (perhaps from PIE root *gʷeb-/*gʷebʰ-, cf. Armenian կամուրջ (kamurj) --> bridge)
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

In Turkish:

Köprüyü patlatmak - To blow up the bridge. (Köprüyü: the bridge, in accusative)
  6. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

blow up: يفجر [yufajjer] or ينسف [yansef]
    the bridge: الجسر [al-jesr]
    To blow up the bridge: ينسف/يفجر الجسر [yansefu\yufajjeru al-jesra]

In Egyptian Dialect:

bridge is كوبري [kobry] (Turkish Origin)
    To blow up the bridge: ينسف/يفجر الكوبري [yensef\yefaggar el-kobry]
  7. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

die Brücke sprengen (standard) - the verb "sprengen" is related to the noun "Sprengstoff" (explosives)
    die Brücke in die Luft jagen (coll.) - approx: "send the brigde into the air"
  8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: de brug opblazen .

@Encolpius: is your point whether languages express it with a kind of phrasal verb, or a derivation?
  9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese you have several choices:

rebentar com a ponte, "to blow up/burst the bridge" (more colloquial)
    mandar a ponte pelos ares (very colloquial; something like "to send the bridge sky-high", or more literally "to send the bridge into the air")
    fazer explodir a ponte, "to make the bridge explode"; explodir com a ponte, "to have the bridge explode" ("com" is a preposition; I may have also heard simply "explodir a ponte", though this seems a little substandard); also dinamitar a ponte, literally "to dynamite the bridge" - more formal.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

It seems to me only Slavic language lack a verb, even a phrasal verb for that expression, they use "throw up the bridge into the air"....
  11. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Pasabugin ang Tulay.
  12. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    This is incorrect. In Russian it would be взорвать мост (vzorvat most, взорвать - to blow up).
    Also, there is no expression 'to throw up into the air' for blowing up in Russian. There is only взлететь на воздух (vzletet na vozdukh, 'to fly up in the air') and it's an informal idiom for to be blown up (a similar English expression is to be blown sky-high).
  13. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    In French, the most common translation would be:
    "faire sauter le pont" (literally: have/make the bridge jump :D)
  14. arielipi Senior Member

I want to correct tfighter, in hebrew we say to burn/set on fire bridges:
    לשרוף גשרים lisrof gsharim
    to burn bridges
  15. Panceltic Senior Member

Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Slovenian: razstreliti most or vreči most v zrak (lit. "throw the bridge in the air"), but I deem the second option slightly colloquial.
  16. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Japanese it'd be:

橋を爆破する hashi wo bakuha suru.

Hashi= bridge
    Wo= accusative particle
    bakuha= blow up (it's made of two words: bomb + break, which in turn are made of 2 more words each word: bomb is made of ''violent fire'' and break is made of ''stone skin'')
    suru= to do (this is used to make virtually any noun into a verb)

in Spanish: detonar el puente.

Detonar comes from the Latin word detonāre which means to start an explosion.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  17. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

raznijeti most - "blow up the bridge"
    raznijeti = "blow up"; also means to carry/disperse something to multiple places / in multiple directions; to disseminate
    dići most u zrak/vazduh - "lift the bridge into the air"