blow your head (off)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by barneyventure, Sep 2, 2006.

1. barneyventure Senior Member

french
    While I feel ok with the sentence;
    The music will blow your head off, I a bit confused about the followings;

1) Blow your head off to the music ...
    2) Blow your head off with the music
    3) Blow your head to the music
    4) Blow your head with the music

Which one is correct ?
    Can someone blow his own head off ? doen't it need to be blown by someone else ...

I'd like to get a similar idea than
    Bang your head to the music
    While looking for something stonger ... I guess Blow off does the job, doesn't it ?

Thanks

2. Lany

Lany Senior Member

Québec
    French Canada
    I don't think that any of them are correct.

If a music blows your head off it's because it's so original or loud that your head cannot appreciate/contain its greatness/loudness.

Blow your mind is also seldom used.

The music will blow your head off is similar to The music swept me away.

3. barneyventure Senior Member

french
    your point is good lany, but this about a deafening music yet enjoyable, and listeners would eexpect to be hit big time ...

4. Bostonien Senior Member

USA - English
    I still don't think "blow your head off" or any variant is a good way to say it. As a native speaker, I can say that "Blow your head off" immediately evokes the literal meaning - we don't use it in a figurative sense. When I read the words I picture someone's head literally getting blown off by a shotgun.

How about "blow you away", which means "leave you amazed"? (the loudness is implied when talking about music). The only problem is I find this term to be a little dated, so if you're trying to be very current / hip then you may want something else.

Bottom line: no heads should be blown off by any music!

5. barneyventure Senior Member

french
    Thank you bostonien, I'll forget it for sure, I am definitely looking for something current that could fit with metal/hardRock music, and therefore imply a wild listening experience ... loudness, sizzling riffs and whatever ...

Thank you.

6. roland098 Senior Member

English UK
    To me, saying music will blow people's heads off just suggests it will be deafeningly loud.

It will blow people's minds means it will amaze them/introduce them to something completely new and exciting etc. But it sounds a bit dated. It will blow them away as Bostonien suggests sounds better, but isnt used all that much either.

None of your phrases sound right at all. Certainly you would never say 'he is blowing his head off to the music' or whatever.

Head-banging just means a kind of violent dancing, such as to heavy-metal music, involving shaking your head up and down.

Maybe someone cooler than me can come up with a current phrase used to mean music will be loud and exiciting, in a good way.

7. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    I'm also too uncool to come up with a suggestion. :eek:

8. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    "Heart-pounding music"?

9. roland098 Senior Member

English UK
    Here's my attempt at being branché:

bangin

short for "Banging"

2. adj. meaning high energy, busy, loud, exciting. (refering to music, a party, etc.)

From www.urbandictionary.com

10. barneyventure Senior Member

french
    Thank you guys for your takes. Don't understand the "uncool" issue though ...

Bangin' looks to do the job?
    Is:
    Bang your head to the music, correct and makes sense ?

11. roland098 Senior Member

English UK

I just meant I don't tend to go to a lot of loud rock concerts and so on, so maybe I don't know the latest terminology!

I'm not sure what you mean about bang your head to the music. As I said, head-banging/head-bangers are the activity/people who do it, relating to shaking your head violently to heavy-metal etc. You would just say they were head-banging, I suppose, not necessarily 'they are banging their heads to the music' which doesn;t have a very idiomatic ring to it.

12. watergirl Senior Member

San Francisco CA
    English, U.S.A.
    Though I agree we wouldn't say "bang your head to the music" it is fairly common to use "head-banging" to describe the music itself: "wild head-banging music" would work, I think. Rock 'on...

13. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    The only way I've ever heard this expression used goes something like this:
    "Don't blow my head off! I'm only the messenger."

14. orangenormal Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    English - North America
    I'm going to have to agree that "blow your head off" sounds literal and violent, not at all something I'd hear in association with music. A hostage taker might say "Quiet, or I'll blow your head off!" for example.

"Mind blowing," or "Blow your mind," on the other hand strikes me as appropriate.

15. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    Right. "Bang your head" conjures up an image of some poor child or person who's in the proverbial "padded cell"* and banging his/her head against a wall.

*In an insane asylum or some other kind of institutional setting. The cell is padded so the distressed person can't injure him/herself.

16. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    Consider it a case of "full disclosure" or buyer beware (caveat emptor). :) The people who used that as a disclaimer didn't want to steer you wrong because being current on certain forms of expression is often largely related to age and "coolness."

By the way, I've always thought that being cool was overrated, not to mention exhausting to keep up.:) But I'm so uncool that when I watch a series by VH1 called "I love the '70s/'80s/'90s" (there are three series), I often find myself learning many things about American culture for the first time, or finding myself saying, so THAT was the name of that song I kept hearing in high school/college/graduate school/X exhausting job! :)

17. barneyventure Senior Member

french
  18. Bostonien Senior Member

USA - English
    That's how they know you're uncool. If you were cool, you wouldn't think that way. :) (I was never cool, so I can empathize here.)

"Head-banging music" is probably still used, but I do think of it as being a popular term in the late 80's / early 90's - something I don't hear as much anymore (then again maybe that's just because I'm not in high school anymore!)

I really like "heart-pounding" music. That's a an expression that I hear quite frequently.

19. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    You're right, it seems common enough, a lot of instances seem related to metal though.

Edit
    et cela ne signifie pas ce que tu veux exprimer.
    Cela veut dire bouger la tête de haut en bas pour marquer les temps (un peu comme si l'on se tapait la tête contre une table, en fait) - l'effet est encore meilleur lorsque l'on a de longs cheveux qui retombent sur la figure ! :D

20. barneyventure Senior Member

french
    oui mais je peux m'accomoder de ce sens ... ça peut passer et reste dans l'esprit cheveux longs !
    merci

21. Bostonien Senior Member

USA - English
    Two more cents - I think of "bang your head to the music" as something "uncool" (here we go again...) adults say disapprovingly, as in

"I don't want you kids banging your heads to that music all day!"
    "You kids are always banging your heads to that ridiculous music!"

22. sarahtherockgod

sarahtherockgod New Member

USA, Ohio
    United States
    They sound ok to me. But that's just me. I could be wrong. I always say stuff like that. :eek:

23. Niteprizm New Member

English
    Technically it is possible to say that the music will blow your head off, but it isn't that commonly used and it might take a second for people to understand what you are saying. Assuming you are trying to say that the music will amaze you (which is what it sounds like) you could use any of the following more common expressions

The music will blow you away
    "" "" blow your mind

To use in other forms just conjugate "blow" and change "your/you" for the appropriate person. For example:

blows my mind
    blew him away

The problem with using "blow your head off" (as bostonienen said) is that it is usually used to mean shoot someone in the head with a gun. Needless to say it therefore also generally implies killing someone. For example:

"They guy pulled out his wallet, the cop thought it was a weapon and blew his head off"

So, you could use it to refer to yourself (I blew my head off) but likewise that refers to committing suicide.

Head banging is related but I don't think it is what you are looking for either. This is the a form of dancing that people often do to certain kinds of music (usually hard music like metal), and can also be used to refer to that type of music (head-banging/head-banger music) or the people who listen to it (a head-banger).

So basically, as most have said "blow you away" or "blow your mind" are generally better, as for making it stronger honestly most people would probably just add expletives.

"This music will blow your fucking mind"
    "This shit will blow you on your ass"

Amongst many other possible combinations, though this definetly US style English, not British.