Blow your Mind (Away), Blow you, Boggle your Mind

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Feb 16, 2009.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    I sometimes say, "That blew my mind away!" Is this one word too many? Would it sound better without "away"? They are somewhat synonymous with "That blew you away!" and "That boggled my mind!," are they not?

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    To 'blow something away' means that you destroyed it, or you won a competition. It is frequently used in the military, gaming, and sports.
    To 'blow someone away' means that it was shocking, surprising, or overwhelming to them.
    'Boggle the mind' is a bit different, and in my area, at least, you only hear it used in the present tense, usually as the phrase 'It boggles the mind'.

3. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Oh, okay. Wouldn't you say, "It blew my mind away"? Are you saying, in reference to "blow something away," you could say "blow one's mind away" figuratively?

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

4. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    I personally say "blew my mind" or "blew me away" but never "blew my mind away."

So if I'm surprised by an amazing performance, I would say "Wow, it really blew my mind" or "Wow, it really blew me away."

To my American ear, the expression "blew my mind" evokes the image of my head exploding. "Blew me away," makes me think of a gust of wind so strong it carried me away.

"Blew my mind away" makes no sense logically at least to me. It sounds to me like someone confusing two different expressions.

p.s. Be careful of "blow you" in your title. It has a strong sexual connotation unless you add "away" to the end of it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  5. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    If I was astonished by something that went against the expected pattern, I might say: "That really blew my mind. I never expected him to say that." (I would never say blew my mind away.)

If I astonished someone else by something I did, I might say: "It really blew him away, when I knew all the elements on the periodic table."

If someone does something so difficult that I can't see how they did it, or so foolish that I can't believe anyone would be so dumb, I might say, "I don't know why she thought she would get away with robbing a bank across from the police station. It boggles the mind."

This is how I use these phrases, at any rate.

Note: Embonpoint has posted as I was writing this. I believe we agree.

6. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Thanks, all.

I now know how we should use them.
    Many, many thanks.

Hiro

P.S. The title was simply a typo, and I knew what it means, but thanks just the same. I was able to change it in my posts, but as you know I can't in others'.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009