1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

blowin' in our 'jack'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Qomi, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Qomi

Qomi Senior Member

Turkland/Turkish
    Dear forum members,

I couldn't make out the meaning of "jack" in the following context. Could you, please, make it clear?

"... We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us. We don't have to sit in no bar room blowin' in our jack jus' because we got no place else to go. If them other guys gets in jail they can rot for all anybody gives a damn. But not us." (from Of Mice and Men)

2. saladfingers Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    'Blowin in our jack' is an idiom meaning 'losing, spending, or gambling away all our money'.

3. saladfingers Senior Member

UK
    English - England
  4. mplsray Senior Member

The likeliest meanings in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary are "applejack" and "brandy." I take it that "blowin' in our jack" means "idly talking while drinking applejack."

5. mplsray Senior Member

Ah, interesting. The preposition in threw me off. If it had not been there I would have thought of the meaning "money" instead.

I see that there are many instances online where Of Mice and Men is being discussed and the passage is represented with "blowin' our jack" rather than with the preposition, presumably because the authors of those pages were more familiar with the prepositionless form of the idiom and mistakenly wrote it in the usual way rather than the way Steinbeck had actually put it.

6. Qomi

Qomi Senior Member

Turkland/Turkish
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help. :)