blue corn moon

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SuperChrist, Oct 5, 2010.

1. SuperChrist Junior Member

Chinese
    Why we call a moon blue corn moon? and How it comes? blue corn? is just a Indian something related to food.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Hello, Super Christ. I can't find a reliable definition for "blue corn moon" on the internet. Most of the references go back to a song by Vanessa Williams. I suspect it means something like "the season when blue corn is harvested". That's just a guess, though.

3. Valvs Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    According to Stephen Schwartz, it was he who coined the phrase. His explanation of its meaning and origin can be found here.

<< I feel somewhat guilty to have to tell you that the phrase "blue corn moon" has no actual meaning in Indian lore. I made it up because I liked the sound of it. Its basis is this: In preparation for doing the lyrics to POCAHONTAS, I read a lot of Native American poetry. One of the phrases I came across, in a love poem, was : "I will come to you in the moon of green corn." >>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Thanks for the link, Valvs. So Schwartz's "blue corn moon" is his own invention. I don't think you should worry about including it in your vocabulary if you were planning to do so, Super Christ.

5. SuperChrist Junior Member

Chinese
    Thanx Valvs and owlman5