1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

blunt=money

Discussion in 'English Only' started by iluvbatman, Feb 22, 2012.

1. iluvbatman New Member

indonesian
    this is my first thread...so sorry if there's any mistake. i'm not a native english. i read a novel and there is this sentence:
    "a bastard child was the responsibility of his mother, but this powerful family could circumvent laws. with the proper amount of blunt slipped into her father's palm, Mercy would be relegated to a pauper,..."
    i assume the word blunt here means money, but i've searched in many dictionaries and i can't find blunt=money. can anyone help me?
    thank you

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Yes, it's slang for "money". I think people might still say it in BrE. It seems a fairly normal slang word to me.

3. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    In the US, "blunt" (as slang) means "a cigar hollowed out and stuffed with marijuana." So be careful where you use that term!

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Welcome to the forums, iluvbatman!

I hadn't come across "blunt" for money before, so I looked it up in my Cassell's Dictionary of Slang, which describes it as "mid 18th-century to late 19th century".

Google tells me that the novel in which you found the term is Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman by Lorraine Heath, and that this is a historical novel set in 19th century London. So that would fit with what the Cassell's Dictionary of Slang says:).

5. iluvbatman New Member

indonesian
    ok, thank you