1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

board games: miss a turn, miss a go, go forward, go back

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Rah, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rah Junior Member

English UK
    Wie sagt man bitte auf Deutsch "miss a turn" oder "you miss a go" ? I am trying to make a board game in German and want to put this on the square the participants land on!

Also how would you say "go forward/advance" and "go back" (i.e 3 places)... vorwaerts/rueckwaerts? vorrueck/zurueck?

Vielen Dank!

Rah

2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Can you provide a whole sentence? There are several possibilities.
    "vorrücken" and "zurückgehen". But again, it would be better, if you could provide a whole sentence.

3. suiker Junior Member

German(y)
    Ich nehme einmal an:

"miss a turn" = eine Runde aussetzen / einmal aussetzen (he is not allowed to make a move next time)
    "go forward/advance" and "go back" (i.e 3 places) = drei Felder vor/zurück oder Rücke drei Felder vor/ Gehe drei Felder zurück

4. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

Maryland
    English
    Suiker seems to have understood the English correctly, so I'm assuming his answer is as close as we'll get.

5. suiker Junior Member

German(y)
    But why is he saying "i.e 3 places"? I thought "i.e" means/stands for "das heisst" - why didnt he use e.g.?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Rah Junior Member

English UK
    Thanks for your responses... I am trying to make a board game where the instructions are short and sharp upon the square that the participants land on. It may therefore be a more colloquial instruction, in very few words. For example in English, one may throw the dice and advance 4 places on the board, to land on a square which says "Go back to number 10" or "go forwards 5 places". I am therefore looking for the equivalent commands in German, such as may be found on a board game. Thank you for your help x

7. Rah Junior Member

English UK
    "das heisst" means "that is", or specifically "that's called"... it's simply an idiom but in this context we would understand it to mean "that is" or "that means"

8. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    If "miss a turn" is supposed to be stand-alone, I agree with suiker's suggestion.

Other Stand alone phrases:
    "Go back to number 10" = "Zurück zu Nummer 10"
    "go forwards 5 places" = "5 Felder vorrücken"
    "go back 3 places" = "3 Felder zurückgehen"

For more inspiration, see the German Wikipedia article for the game Mensch ärgere Dich nicht.

(BTW: I agree with Suiker that "i.e." is not entirely fitting in post #1)

9. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

Maryland
    English
    Most people nowadays, unfortunately, do not really differentiate between "i.e." and "e.g.", and both are often used to mean "for example".

10. Rah Junior Member

English UK
    Sorry yes I did mean it in the context of "zum Beispiel"... we do tend to use both i.e. and e.g. interchangeably these days in informal contexts - I should have been more specific