Boca del estómago

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by palomica, Apr 18, 2006.

1. palomica Senior Member

New York City
    English, USA
    Field and topic:
    I keep hearing this word in my phone interpretation. I originally found the definition 'pit of the stomach' in a company glossary, but that indicates the bottom of the stomach. It is often associated with acid reflux and I believe it is the upper middle stomach, i.e., epigastreum. But what would be the most colloquial translation of what these unsophisticated people are saying.
    ---------------------

Sample sentence:
    Siento dolor en la boca del estómago.

2. felicia Senior Member

Norwegian, Norway
    Sounds like the duodenum. or the 12" (finger) intestine. This is the beginning of the small intestine, into which the contents of the stomach pass after digesting. But I don't know if this is the correct translation of "la boca del estomago.?

3. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Palomica.

This is sort of a runaround explanation so please bear with me. :)

When people complain of heartburn (in Spanish) they often say that the boca del estómago hurts.
    That often implies the general and perceived location of the mouth of the stomach, meaning just above the stomach itself (actually the esophagus, and not right smack in the middle of the belly like in the case of an upset stomach caused by indigestion or when something just doesn't agree with you).

Since in the case of "boca del estómago" we're dealing with a coloquial expression and not a precise anatomical location, I'd say the use of the phrase "the pit of the stomach" is colloquially accurate --and that's why it's found in some medical glossaries and/or dictionaries.

Hope that helps.

Saludos,
    LN

4. palomica Senior Member

New York City
    English, USA
    I am looking for something colloquial. That's why duodenem doesn't appeal to me as a first choice. However, 'pit of the stomach' means the bottom of the stomach to me. At least, that's what I always thought, and I was raised monolingual until the age of nine in the Midwest. We often use it in sentences like "I got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach." Am I mistaken? Is there something simple for the upper stomach.

P

5. Michan Senior Member

lima peru
    spanish peru
    hello palomica
    I agree with lauranazario, you would be clearly understood when using "pit of the stomach" for: Dolor en la Boca del estómago, the pain may be burning, undefined, vagus or even rradiating to the throath.

6. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Palomica,
    Please do not succumb to the pitfall of trying to equate one colloquial expression with another. The "sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach" has NO medical implications like feeling heartburn "en la boca del estómago".

You yourself have said that you have found "the pit of the stomach" in a company glossary (I'm assuming a specialized glossary) and we have corroborated that it does also appear in medical glossaries/dictionaries as a colloquial equivalent for "la boca del estómago".

I'd say trust your gut feeling. :)

Saludos,
    LN

7. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola,

yo diría que hay dos expresiones, al menos en Perú, una es la ya entendida "boca del estomago" y la otra es "siento una pesadez en el estomago" o "siento el estomago pesado", que no es un dolor sino una molestia tipica despues de comer mucho. y que podría referirse a lo que dice Palomica ""I got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach."

La primera refiere a la ubicación, la segunda al tipo de malestar.

Saludos!

8. palomica Senior Member

New York City
    English, USA
    OK. A couple of clarifications. First, I did some research on 'pit of the stomach' and it is actually defined in Stedman's Medical Dictionary as 'epigastric fossa', right below the sternum, so LN is correct. I always thought of pit as bottom.

Secondly, I'm not really mixing idiomatic expressions because they aren't really idiomatic expressions, except perhaps for 'sinking'. They are ways of trying to explain where you feel something. When you feel a physical sensation of dread, you do actually feel a sort of hollow feeling in the bottom of your stomach, but this other one is at the top of the stomach. It's very confusing and illogical, but then languages are like that sometimes.

Actually, 'pesadez/pesado' is more like being 'full'. A sinking feeling is a feeling of fear or dread, not the same thing.

Thanks, everyone.
    P

9. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I agree with Laura. This is a colloquial expression. It is a location on the body right below the sternum, and has no relation with anything internal. You can hit somebody "en la boca del estómago", which means you hit him in the high epigastrium.

Saludos

10. Ivy29 Senior Member

MEDELLÍN
    COLOMBIA-Español
    Boca del estómagos is the standard way people refers to the pit of the stomach ( anatomically is located in the xiphoid or beneath it; it is the lower part of the sternum or breastbone).
    EPIGASTRIUM = EPIGASTRIO, would be the technical name for this area of the stomach.

Ivy29

11. Ivy29 Senior Member

MEDELLÍN
    COLOMBIA-Español
    PIT=FOSSA= depresión epigástrica, but in FAT PATIENTS is not possibly to see the pit that the XIPHPOID (lower end of the sternum or breastbone mark this fossa in thin patients, In Spanish Boca del estómago is the standard phrase, heartburn = ardor en la boca del estómago.

Ivy29

12. Curious Cusqueña Senior Member

Wisconsin
    English - US
    He discutido este tema mucho con mi seres querido.

Yo traduzco "boca del estómago" como "the top of my stomach" por varias razones.
    1) "La boca del estómago" se refiere, si no me equivoco, al punto donde el esófago se conecta con el estómago. Al escuchar a alguien decir "pit of the stomach", personas como yo que hablamos inglés por toda la vida NO visualizamos ESA parte, sino un lugar más abajo del epigastrio en el estómago.
    2) "Pit of the stomach" usualmente se usa en los contextos emocionales (como cuando alguien siente miedo) más que en el ámbito médico.
    3) "The top" para mí suena más específico que "pit" y no da lugar a confusiones, a diferencia de "pit" que no expresa un lugar exacto.

Esa es mi opinión, aunque los glosarios no estén de acuerdo conmigo :D
    O será que no entiendo mi propio idioma inglés bien....

Además, si alguien quiere decir que siente ardor en la boca del estómago EN INGLES, NO diría "I feel burning in the pit of my stomach."
    Probablemente diría "I feel burning up here underneath my ribs" or "below my ribs".

Atentamente,
    Cusqueña

13. Codeswitcher1 New Member

English and Spanish
    Boca del estomago translates literally to "Mouth of the stomach". This really doesn't make sense in English. But translating the meaning....this simply means the area in the front center where the ribcage ends. Sometimes dictionaries only confuse instead of helping. Also, keep in mind that Spanish varies from country to country and many words have different meanings.
    Another meaning and the most common meaning for "Pesado" is heavy.

14. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Agree with cusqueña. "Pit of the stomach" doesn't work at all in digestive contexts.

15. norbey1 New Member

Spanish
    Can "me duele la boca del estomago" be simply interpreted as "I have heartburn"?

16. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    In general, no.