1. Grateful2allU Senior Member

Rumano; EUA; serviceable Spanish, some other latin languages; autodidacta.
    While I was visiting a small Texas town near the Mexican border, I noticed that Hispanics would refer to Anglo Americans (gringos) by various names including "Volío" or "Bolío."

I think that is simply a localism (and not necessarily derogatory) to refer to a gringo. What does the term actually mean? How and why did it originate to refer to Anglos? In Central America, I don't recall anyone using the term "Volío." (The word is not in dictionaries.)

Comments?

Thanks.

2. Ambiguo Senior Member

Guatemala, Spanish
    Maybe, and this is a big "maybe" (I don't know anything about that word), they mean "bolillo". I wouldn't know why they say that, though.

It's the same with "bato" or "vato". I don't have the least idea what that means. A friend of mine told me once that "bato" was how Guatemalans were called in the 70's in LA, something like "guato" or "guatito" and soon changed into a more general "bato".

Do you know something about "maras" (gangs)?

3. yonosenada

yonosenada Senior Member

Southern Appalachia
    English-Southern American
    I believe that the correct term is "bolillo" and it means white bread. It is a slightly derogatory term for a person of fair features, almost synonymous with gringo and, as far as I can discern, neither more nor less demeaning in nature.

4. Poca Cosa

Poca Cosa Senior Member

Florida, U.S.
    English - US
    Concuerdo con yonosenada. Vivo en el sur de Texas, y lo he escuchado a veces.

5. flljob

flljob Senior Member

México
    México español
    De acuerdo. Es bolillo. En el norte de México, se tiende a perder la ll y pronuncian bolío, Hermosío, orías (bolillo, Hermosillo, orillas).