bollix (Irish slang?)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Virtus, May 8, 2009.

1. Virtus

Virtus Member

Bologna, Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Good morning.

These days I am reading "The Commintments" by Roddy Doyle and this word "bollix" is used very often.

I haven't found it in any dictionary (I found the verb "to bollix", though).

I understand it stands for "fellow", but it seems to have also a derogatory nuance, and possibly it's an obscene word (actually, that book contains plenty of obscene words!).

Is there someone here who can give me a definition of what does "bollix" mean?

Thank you very much in advance
  2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Have a look at ballocksed - from around post #25.

You will see that indeed a bollix (or a variety of alternative spellings) is a term of abuse, an insult.
    Like most such terms, it may also be used between friends to express a kind of amicable irritation.
  3. Virtus

Virtus Member

Bologna, Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Thank you for your reply :)

4. paddyireland New Member

The term 'bollix' from an Irish perspective can be used in a wide range of intended meanings depending on the prevailing intention. A friend may say to another 'that's a load of bollix' simply meaning that he doesn't take credence in what has been said or can't believe what he has witnessed. It does not necessarily imply that the user of the term is being insulting, just expressing a point of view. Then there's the 'I don't give a bollix' which again merely describes an apathetic point of view rather than an insult to the person or subject to which directed. 'I'm bollixed' describes a state of personal deflation or defeat or perhaps exhaustion. The .dogs bollix' is a complimentary term used for example 'your suit is the dog's bollix' meaning that the suit is tremendous. But there's no mistake that the term bollix is derived from a male's nether regions so one has to weigh up when, where and what company the terms may be most appropriate. Do not use the term to describe another person unless it can be taken in good humour by that person or you can take a bloody nose.