bonne fin de journée/soirée

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by DearPrudence, Sep 10, 2005.

1. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hi everybody!
    First message so I hope it's not too stupid a question
    I would like to know how you could translate "bonne (fin de) journée/soirée" when you say someone goodbye.
    Thank you.

PS: this forum is great as well as its members. :thumbsup:

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one
    (J'ai laissé le chat, c'est collector...)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Bonjour DearPrudence,
    Bienvenue sur le forum !

1. Il n'y a pas de questions stupides, il n'y a que des questions. ;)
    2. I wish you a nice evening pourrait-il faire l'affaire ?

3. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    En fait, je pensais à ce qu'un commerçant peut dire par exemple. Donc peut-être que "I wish you a nice evenig" est un peu long? But thanks all the same.

4. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Moi, je dirais "Have a nice evening" ou simplement "Good evening".

5. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

France
    English UK
    E-J, on dit 'Good Evening' au moment où on rencontre la personne et 'have a nice evening' quand on part d'habitude.

6. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    I agree with Amityville. Prudence, may I compliment you on your correct usage of the apostrophe in "its" and it's". Many native speakers get this wrong.

7. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Actually I have the impression that when it's not your native language you're more careful and you think of the grammar when you're write a word while you tend to write as you hear when it's your native language (well, what I said is not very clear ...)

8. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, dear Prudence
    And...greet the brand new day ;)

9. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Yes, I agree with that, Prudence. I wish my French were as good as your English.

10. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    I would happily use 'good evening' as an alternative to 'goodbye' as I'm leaving a restaurant, for example.

11. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    E J, I think that usage would be very upper middle class in register and would not be in general usage across classes. What do you think?

12. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Oh no, I've unwittingly revealed the truth about my very upper middle class identity :)

I use it to be courteous.

13. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    EJ, I really meant no offence at all. I do maintain that to say "good evening" instead of "goodbye" is posh. Please don't take offence - I am being objective.

14. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    No offence taken! I hoped the smiley would clarify that :)

It really depends on the context. I would never say 'Good evening' to friends ... I'd say 'See you!' and the reverse applies to the restaurant scenario I was describing.

In most situations, including DearPrudence's example (the shopkeeper) I actually think a simple 'Goodbye' would be the most natural thing to say.

15. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Eh bien! Je m'inquietais un peu.

16. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    I totally agree with E-J. On the proper context, I will myself answer when leaving a restaurant: Bye (Goodbye!)! See you soon!
    Edit= & a ''Thank you! (of course)

17. Mahya88_h Junior Member

Persian
    Bonjour!

Can you plz translate this sentence to english?

"Bonne fin de journée"

Merci:thumbsup:

18. Tayllc

Tayllc Senior Member

USA, CA
    USA English
    maybe, have a nice evening? or simply Good Evening is more common.
    Hope this helps!

19. primokorn

primokorn Senior Member

"Enjoy the rest of your day" is correct? Is there a difference between the writing and oral discussion?

Thanks

20. nandini New Member

india
    hindi & english
    it means have a good day.....

21. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Yes, it's correct. You would mostly hear it in informal settings, although it is not really slang per se.

22. Lucja

Lucja Senior Member

Hong-Kong
    French
    well I love "have a good evening" :)

23. wildan1

bonne fin de journée = enjoy the rest of your day/afternoon

bonne soirée = have a good evening/night

24. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    You're absolutely right, but in fact does anybody actually say these things? Apart from well-drilled hotel employees for instance?

I know that in the past 20 years I've lived in France, I've come across a whole pile of such phrases (bonne fin de week-end, bonne continuation...) which have absolutely no equivalent in everyday spoken (UK) English. I'm certain that I've never in my life spoken the words: enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

25. wildan1

Yes, Keith, I would say them from time to time--and often hear them, perhaps more in business than in personal relationships.

Not sure if they are more frequent over here than in European English-speaking areas, however.

Bonne fin de week-end - Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Yep, I guess I would say that, too.

26. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I think that must be it.

27. primokorn

primokorn Senior Member

Thank you so much but is there a difference between the writing and oral discussion?

28. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    No, there is not.

29. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    I'm not a big fan of translating "Bonne fin de journée" by "Enjoy the rest of your day". That's more "Bon reste de journée". Imho, "Bonne fin de journée", which really means "Good late day" (after 4 or 5 going into early evening), could just be translated by "Good afternoon" (around 4) or "Good evening" (after 5).

30. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Icetrance, is this another UK/US division? Because I'd never say "Good evening" to a person when leaving them, only when greeting them.

For me: Good evening means hello, good night means goodbye. Bonne fin de journée also means goodbye (but it's not late enough to go to bed). I suppose I'd translate it as: "Have a nice evening" or "Enjoy your evening".

31. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    You're right, Keith: We would say "Have a nice evening/Enjoy your evening" as well in North America. I wasn't realizing the full context here.

Thank you for pointing that out.:)

32. Elowen R. Junior Member

France - Français
    I am emailing a potential future co-worker. I usually end my emails with "yours sincerely" or "yours faithfully", but the previous few messages were quite informal.

Is it acceptable to end my email with something like "have a good day"? If it is correct, what do I say if I send my email at, like, 6:00 PM? "Have a nice end of day"? "Have a good evening"?

33. LostInLanguage Junior Member

English
    'Best Regards' is quite a popular one.

34. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    Je mets un mélange des 2 lorsque mes emails ne sont pas formels : "have a nice evening" (et on me répond généralement "have a nice evening too") :)

35. lamy08 Senior Member

Cordially est passe-partout et très courant.

36. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Also: "Enjoy the rest of the day!" if there's something special about that day, e.g., it's your birthday, but usually bonne fin de journée doesn't mean that, it's just a normal sign-off, so LostInLanguage's "best regards" works in most cases, or micia's suggestion in #3.

37. sarie Senior Member

New York
    English - USA
    Best regards is fine.

But I often say "have a good day" too - this is more informal. It doesn't matter at what time you send your email: a good "day" is always appropriate.

38. mdb Senior Member

Manchester, UK.
    UK English
    Lamy08, I'm not sure I've seen cordially used very often on its own at the end of an email. It seems a bit stand-offish to me...