Bonne journée: how to answer

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by MarlaLP, Feb 9, 2006.

1. MarlaLP Junior Member

I have sort of a silly question. What is the normal/appropriate response to "Bonne journée"? In English if told "Have a nice day" one would usually reply "You too." Is it the same concept in French, "À vous aussi"?

Thanks in advance.

2. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Absolutely !
    Toi/vous aussi, or à toi/vous aussi - with the "à" because what is actually meant is "[je vous souhaite une] bonne journée"
  3. Hi Maria,

If I'm in a shop in France, about to leave with my purchases, the assitant usually says 'Merci Madame, bonne journée.' To which I simply reply, 'Au revoir, bonne journée.'

If someone wishes me a 'bonne journée' I usually say 'Et vous meme.' (Sorry about the missing accents, I've lost my helpful chart.)

I imagine I get away with it as I'm English.

Edit. Merci Gève. Tu cours vite!
  4. lidboymk2 Senior Member

Est-ce qu'il fait incorrect a dire dans un magasin bonne journee avant le serveuse a dit bonne journee.
    Merci d,avance Tricia
  5. laughingmarmot Junior Member

English England
    It would be if you mean as soon as you went in as the idea is that you are wishing them a good rest of the day so to speak. I don't think there is anything wrong with you saying bonne journee as you leave before they do so - no one has ever taken offence when I have done so.

Going back to earlier in thread I think you could reply with a simple "et a vous" - if you were feeling word thrifty!
  6. Kakie Junior Member

French France
    En tant que francaise, je dirai qu'habituellement a "bonne journee", les gens repondent "merci, a vous/toi aussi"
  7. lidboymk2 Senior Member

Vous diriez bonne journee a quelu'un ou les hotesse dans un magasin avant ils ont dit bonne journee.
    Merci encore:)
  8. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    The fact is that most of the time, they go faster than us so we don't have the time to say "bonne journée" before them. :D But I suppose it wouldn't be impolite at all to say it before them if it seems natural (not if you make it sound like a race :p ).

By the way, I think you can also reply "vous DE même" (I think, rather than "vous même". Usually I think I say "Merci. Vous aussi")

And in a supermarket, we call the cashiers : "les caissières" and in a shop : "les vendeuses".
  9. lidboymk2 Senior Member

Merci a tous. Bonne journee!:D
  10. flugga New Member

French - France
    Like DearPrudence said, "vous même" and "et a vous" would soud quite unnatural. I'd rather use, from the most informal to the most formal "merci, toi aussi", "merci, à vous aussi", or "bonne journée également".