Book titles in bold or in italics?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Rosi I. S. Parker, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Rosi I. S. Parker

Rosi I. S. Parker Junior Member

Maryland, USA
    Spanish-Nicaragua, English USA
    In writing an article, when referencing a book--in this case a version of The Bible (i.e. "The Message" as opposed to the "New Living Translation") should we use bold or italics?

I'm laying out a newsletter for my church and I'm dealing w/some markups that may not be accurate. I thought that italics was the proper manner but the marked-up copy states bold--which I find a bit too strong.

Thank you, in advance.
    Rosi

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    The best I can suggest is to consult the publication in which the article will appear and use their style.

The standard, I believe, in the U.S. is to italicize book titles.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I would find bold too strong too, Rosi. I'd prefer italics.

4. tannen2004 Senior Member

Illinois
    English/USA
    Underlining is also an option if there is some concern that the italics may not be visible enough.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The way you present book titles (not title's with an apostrophe) is a matter of style, which is to say, there's no right or wrong way of doing it as long as you use some device to show that it's a title.

6. Rosi I. S. Parker

Maryland, USA
    Thank you, so very much. You, all, have been such dears!

I have checked the original and the pastor has used, italics -- In graphic design, there are creative licenses that can be used, but I wanted to choose the grammatically correct form--I felt the bold was too strong.

All is well. Thanks, again.

-Rosi

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    In general, italics is used for titles of books and any published material. However, the Bible and the books of the Bible are often excepted from this convention, so 'Bible' or 'Psalms' or 'Isaiah' are not usually italicised.

Although there are different translations of the Bible, most do not give a new title, but the exceptions are The Message, Revised English Bible, New English Bible, Jerusalem Bible, Good News Bible or The Living Bible, and these could be italicised (and they are not always italicised). But otherwise, you would need to say the King James Version or Authorised Version (of the Bible), the NIV, NRSV, TNIV, CEV etc. Bible (no italics).

8. Rosi I. S. Parker

Maryland, USA
    Thanks so much, Nat. The thing I know is that the ones you have mentioned in the list of italicized names are not versions of the Bible as they are known as paraphrasing of the Bible. I wonder if that's the reason they get italicized and the others, NIV, NRSV, etc., don't. It's all a bit of a blur to me.

Rosi

9. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, the Living Bible is a paraphrase, but I don't think the Jerusalem Bible or even the Good News Bible would be considered paraphrases, although admittedly they do not emphasise literalness as the NIV does.

My point is that the Bible is a special case and is not treated like normal publications. I have seen Living Bible etc. in italics as well as in normal (roman) setting in publications. If you're calling the shots for the newsletter, I think you can decide and keep that consistent. Sometimes there isn't one correct answer. I have been discussing the programme notes for our Nine Lessons and Carols with the person in charge of that, and we needed to decide about the use of capitals (King of Angels? King of angels?). In the end we just made a decision and tried to keep it consistent!

Nat

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  10. Rosi I. S. Parker

Maryland, USA
    Excellent! I will keep the consistency. I usually don't like capitalizing anything except the "Lord" and His pronouns... I don't even capitalize the word "name" when saying "the name of Jesus," but some pastors like doing that. I feel it's too much capitalization and in the end, it's only legalism.

So, I go w/my good marching orders from you and others. Thanks again.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Rosi