Born the same day

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cebolleta, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Cebolleta

Cebolleta Senior Member

Navarra (Spain)
    Spanish (Spain)
    Does anybody know if there exists a word for two people who were born the same day (day, month and year)?
  2. kitenok Senior Member

Hi Cebolleta,

I think it's safe to say that there is not a word for this in English.

The word "connascent" exists, in the sense that it appears in dictionaries, but I'm not sure it's ever been used in exactly the meaning you're looking for. Personally, I've never heard it used in any meaning at all.

There is a blog entry by someone trying to coin a term for this concept here, although I don't think they are trying to narrow it down as far as the same date and year.
  3. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I also know of no single word for it. In this situation people often say, "We have the same birthday," or "We share a birthday."
  4. Rival Senior Member

English - UK
    My grandson was born on my brother's birthday -- same day, just fifty years apart. :)

My brother calls him "my little twin". We all understand what it means, and no-one gets excited that they're not actually twins in the technical sense.

English is quite flexible in that way. (Or maybe, it's people that are flexible that way.)
  5. Cebolleta

Cebolleta Senior Member

Navarra (Spain)
    Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you kitenok, idialegre and Rival.

My question was about being born exactly the same day, not the same calendar day but some years apart. Unluckily, you have confirmed what I thought: there's no word for it. I hope I will be able to live with it :) .

I've visited "The Compulsive Copyeditor", the page kitenok directed me to. It is quite interesting.
  6. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Similarly to Rival, I would say "(s)he's my birthday twin" (to refer to someone born on the exact same day) but only as a joke.
  7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I found this thread while attempting to answer the same question. I have a co-worker who I found out by chance shares a December 10th birthday with me and I'm guessing she is close to my age, but I don't dare ask what year she was born. ;)
    Unless anyone has other suggestions, for now I'm going to refer to her as "my birthday twin." :)
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014