1. candexis Junior Member

Spanish
    Hola!!!!!, sera que me pueden explicar cual es la diferencia entre Borrow y lend, es decir cuando se usa uno, y cuando se usa el otro. gracias. . . . .

2. rq554 Senior Member

Lima
    Peru Spanish
    Borrow es tomar prestado
    Ex. You borrow something from someone

Lend es prestar
    Ex. You lend something to someone

3. Milly Junior Member

English, Singapore
    I borrow some money from the bank.
    I take a loan from the bank.

The bank lends me some money.
    The bank gives me a loan.

Hope that helps :)

4. Arnaldo Alegré

Arnaldo Alegré Senior Member

Español (Nativo) + English (Master) + Français (Débutant)
    Los dos términos tienden a confundir ya que en Español acostumbramos a hablar de forma diferente; esto es:

"Me prestas tu auto?" = "Can you lend your car to me?" ... nunca "Can you borrow your car to me?"...

"Tomé prestado tu carro" = I borrowed your car.

se entendió?

5. cochabamba

cochabamba Senior Member

La Paz, Bolivia
    Cochabamba - Bolivia
    A ver un intento:

To borrow = Prestarse

To lend = Prestar

6. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Mi diccionario dice (y siempre nos han enseñado:

to lend = prestar
    to borrow = pedir (prestado)

Me parece lógico lo de "tomar prestado" o "recibir prestado".

7. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    en inglaterra, se puede oír
    ''I lent 50 pounds from john'' o
    ''john borrowed me 50 pounds''
    ambas frases son bastante común pero no son correcta.

8. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    No creo que se oiga nada parecido en EE.UU. (lo cual me sorprende).

I lent 50 dollars to John.
    John borrowed 50 dollars from me.

9. cochabamba

cochabamba Senior Member

La Paz, Bolivia
    Cochabamba - Bolivia
    De acuerdo con SoyYo, en ningun caso en Inglaterra podría "oirse" tales frases.

Debe haber algun error en lo que escuchaste ElPoderoso, pues asumo que eres un latino joven y tal vez el duro acento británico te confundió.

Gary

10. Jonathan1975 Senior Member

Santa Marta, Colombia
    English U.S.
    Just a regional note... in Minnesota you will hear the use of borrow in the sense of loan: for example, "I borrowed him my car." It's obviously not correct, but you hear it. I once heard that it had to do with the Scandinavian influence, as some of their languages don't make the distinction.

Jonathan

11. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    no cochabamba i am from england, and i hear those phrases and others of a similar nature used everyday, not (i don't really like saying it this way) by well educated people but by working class people. I don't know if you have ever been to an english pub or have ever worked in an english factory but in these places that type of use is common.

12. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    p.s why do you think i am a ''latino joven'' when my details say ''native of english,england'':eek:

13. cochabamba

cochabamba Senior Member

La Paz, Bolivia
    Cochabamba - Bolivia
    ElPoderoso, first of all, I would have to take back what I said about the "impossibility" of hearing such grammar in UK. It just seemed to me quite strange and so badly spoken. I can understand it comes from non educated people, but never imagined they would be called "working class". I suppose it is just a way to define their social/cultural status.

Anyway, regarding your last message, since your profile can show anything you want, true or false, we would have to assume as valid what we see, so I assumed you were latin, since your username is written in spanish, I know we were asked to give a nick other than your name, but seemed a logical assumption to me. And, 23 years old is definitely young, if that is yoir real age of course, you know what I mean?

Cheers man!

Gary

Gary

14. elpoderoso

elpoderoso Senior Member

English
    i didn't mean all working class people are uneducated, i just meant that uneducated people who are working class would use this language but stupid middle class people wouldn't!

p.s for the record, as i'm not likely to give out further personal info on this forum, you can believe that my details are true.
    p.p.s the name 'elpoderoso' was chosen becauese i like the film ''the motorcycle diaries'' but i didn't want to be lapoderosa!!!
    saludos

15. cochabamba

cochabamba Senior Member

La Paz, Bolivia
    Cochabamba - Bolivia
    Point taken ElPoderoso, thanks for sparing the time to explian man. Now I have a better picture of what you said about "educated" and "working" classes.

And I do believe the truthfulness of your personal details, don't worry.

Cheers,

Gary

16. !!!!!!!!!! Junior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    Is it possible to say:
    Could you lend me your car?
    Or the only possible option is:
    Could you lend me your car to me?

17. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Las unicas opciones son:

Could you lend me your car?

y posbilemente:

Could you lend your car to me?

No se puede decir "lend me your car to me."

18. !!!!!!!!!! Junior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Español-Colombia

Thank you so much for your answer!!!

19. Hola como vas? Bueno, estaba leyendo tus preguntas, y esta es una de las mias de igual manera, la famosa "borrow vs. Lend", y finalmente, entendi esto... muchas gracias por tus preguntas, son excelentes. Tambien, queria comentarte, que eres la primera colombiana que noto usa esta pagina web. Mucho gusto. Aunque estoy un poco "nuevo", solo llevo excasos diez minutos (de haber creado mi perfil), porque ya habia utilizado esta pagina para algunas traducciones, tu me podrias ensenar como usar esta? Apreciaria tu respuesta, cuidate mucho, y de nuevo mis mas sinceros agradecimientos :) ahh, que viva Colombia.

20. chocolate y vainilla New Member

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Mexico Spanish
    could you lend me your car? or
    could you lend your car to me?

1st: both sentences are grammatically correct... the use of one or another depends on the type of English employed and the kind of people who employ it.

2nd: the only difference is the place of the indirect object 'to me'; it may go right after the verb 'lend' or after the direct object 'your car'.

The same phenomenon occurs with the verb 'to give'. For example:
    1. I bought some flowers (direct object) to/for her (indirect object) OR
    2. I bought her (indirect object) some flowers (direct object).
    Hope that helps you.

Cheers y'all,

21. Intramed Junior Member

Ibiza
    Spanish
    Sigo teniendo una duda, podrían corregirme:
    Can I borrow your pen? o
    Can you lend me your pen?

¿Cual usar?
    Gracias

22. rq554 Senior Member

Lima
    Peru Spanish
    Las dos preguntas son correctas y significan CASI lo mismo, aqui estan las traducciones:

- Puedo tomar prestado tu bolígrafo?
    - Puedes prestarme tu bolígrafo?

Saludos

23. Intramed Junior Member

Ibiza
    Spanish
    ¡¡Muchas Gracias!!