1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Bosnian: eki to

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by theqwerty, Oct 6, 2013.

1. theqwerty New Member

Polish
    Hello! I'd be very grateful if someone could explain what does the phrase "eki to" mean in bosnian language.

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Since it is completely unknown to me, who lived in Bosnia until 1990 and still has fair contacts, it is either a recent slang invention, or a mishearing/mispronunciation; of what, hard to tell without context.

3. theqwerty New Member

Polish
    It's rather informal phrase and I've seen it used alone - just quick answer/reply "eki to"

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Seems like a piece of slang... There's a YouTube video titled like that, but it's just uploader-given title. Googling... Got it:
    Need translation?

5. theqwerty New Member

Polish
    Thank you, so it looks like it's a rare expression of surprise or wonder. But it was also compared to "cuj to", which means "listen". So actually, what do you think, which word (English or Bosnian) could be used instead of "eki to"?

6. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    "Look at that!"
    "Listen to this!"
    or just "Hey,.."

or put it like you want to, the word is of no great importance.

7. glupson Junior Member

Bosnian - Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It is a slang word, the imperative form of the verb "look".

Sometimes, it used to be said as "ekši", so I wonder if it is not some Turkish word, missused or deformed.
    Just looked for it on Google translate: http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/ekşi

8. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Ah, I realize now. In my area (Bosnian Posavina), the equivalent exclamation reads ake [to]! ike [to] or ikeš, presumably from the same source. It is rather mahalski and a bit archaic by now, I can't even attest it on web forums. I'm not sure what was the original, presumably Turkish, word. It's too short or deformed to easily tell.

9. Zampy New Member

Bosnian/French
    it's like a mocking/sarcastic way to say "see that!" or "look at that."

When you say, for example "eki njega", (njega meaning "him"), it doesn't mean literally "look at him", but "look at him making a fool of himself". It's more or less what it means x)