1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

bosque autóctono

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cancion, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Cancion Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    Hola amigos!

¿Alguien sabe cómo se dice bosque autóctono?

gracias!

Blanca

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    ¿Virgin forest? Quiere decir un bosque que no ha sido explotado por los humanos.

3. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Si es al inglés, creo que está más próximo a "native forest".

4. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Creo que "indigenous" también funciona.
    Saludos

5. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Sí, también vale, la idea es que los árboles no han sido plantados por seres humanos, al menos, no en los últimos 5-10 siglos.

6. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    So, a forest that has undergone no intervention/manipulation by the human race
    ¿Recibiste PM?

7. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    No necesariamente; podría haber sido raleado periódica y cuidadosamente para mantenerlo en óptimo estado. Así se hace por acá, por ejemplo, con los bosques de araucarias del Sur.

Sí, gracias.

8. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    In the UK, native trees just means trees which have not been introduced. Araucaria and the vast majority of pines are all examples of non native species. This wiki article might prove useful.

9. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Not in Chile, though :rolleyes:
    I vote for native forest.
    Blanca Cancion, could you provide some more context please?

10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Although the concept of "ancient woodlands" in Britain is basically the same as that of "bosque autóctono" in Spanish speaking countries, I don't know what your basis is for saying that Araucaria is a non native species in Chile. Even its name reflects its origin; see for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria

This may also be helpful for understanding why it is most unlikely that araucarias were "introduced" (at least 500 years ago?) in the South of Chile:

http://www.gochile.cl/en/national-parks/parks/conguillio/nature.html

11. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English

Sorry oldy nuts, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. ;) I was referring to the situation in the UK. Here monkey puzzle trees, along with virtually all pines are introduced species. There was a mania for importing trees from all corners of the globe in the 18th and 19 th century. For example if I look out of my window, I can see several fine redwoods. Meanwhile Araucaria araucana are of course as Chilean as singing the national anthem whilst trapped underground.

12. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Cirrus, this discussion is about the concept of native forests in general and not about the British ancient woodlands in particular. And I had mentioned our native Araucaria forests only to clarify that native forest may still remain being native in spite of some controlled and necessary human intervention. I therefore think that my wrong reading of what you wrote is at least understandable.

Fortunatelly, all is clear now, and no harm done.

Addition: as to your remark about the importation of plants (not olny trees) from all other the world, it may interest you to know that the first copihue flower (the Chilean national flower, in my avatar, not at all common in central Chile where I live) I saw in my life was at Kew Gardens, London, some 45 years ago...:D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011