1. sister Junior Member

Spanish-Argentina
    I'd like to know if there's an English word for "botinera". A "botinera" is a new word we're using in Argentina to describe young pretty girls, usually models who go out with football players mainly because they're interested in getting fame and money. The word "botinera" comes "botines" which is the Spanish for soccer shoes/footbal boots.

2. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    Quizás algo así como: Fortune hunter. fortune chaser ???

patin

3. Borderer Senior Member

Scottish Borders
    English (UK)
    In the UK we call them WAGs (Wives And Girlfriends). It describes this sort of girl. I don't know if you can use it in the singular though. (I don't read the right sort of magazine.... :p )

4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I don't know about soccer players but girls who flock after sheriff's deputies and policemen are called (have been called) "badge bunnies"

I think you could make something up. "Cleat-bleaters", ... something that rhymes or alliterates

5. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    The traditional term in English for a person who goes out with/marries a person purely for economic reasons is a gold-digger.

6. sister Junior Member

Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you all for your answers! However, I'm afraid there isn't an equivalent to our "botinera"...it's a word we use only to describe young girls who date football players. Thanks anyway! I've learned new words!

7. Melania_3838 Senior Member

USA
    Enlish-US
    Gold digger is what we call them in the US when they are only interested in money and date successful guys solely for that reason.

8. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    I wonder if you could use "Soccer groupie"

9. sister Junior Member

Spanish-Argentina
    Moritzchen, you may be right! Especially, because in Argentina we already use the word "groupie" to refer to a young girl who is interested in having a personal relationship with a singer or any other band member. Many thanks! :)

10. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Certainly the badge bunnies are police groupies ...