Discussion in 'All Languages' started by panjabigator, Jul 21, 2006.

1. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I can think of a million words for lover, darling, etc in my languages, but not one for girlfriend or boyfriend....perhaps because the concept is foreign to my culture. What are the words for it in your languages, and is dating ok for you guys? Now a days everything is westernizing but I always assumed that there are still some traditional countries where people really dont date.
  2. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Namorado -> Boyfriend
    Namorada -> Girlfriend

Amoureux -> Boyfriend
    Amoureuse -> Girlfriend

Dating is absolutely ok to me. Here in Brazil some people go to parties and kisser over 10 people and they just don't care. However, I'm not like that (thanks God!).
  3. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I'd call those people whores! Just kidding!

They do not say novio y novia in Portuguese?
  4. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    I think that's Spanish.

Noivo/Noiva are bridegroom and bride in Portuguese.

Yeah. Some of them I'd call whores! :p
  5. lay-z

lay-z Senior Member

Chile, español
    well here in Chile we say "pololo" and "polola", boyfriend and girlfriend respectively.
    and also we use the word "pololear" as a verb... and i am proud to say that llevo 6 años pololeando jajaja...
  6. Confused Linguist Senior Member

English & Bengali

chhele-bondhu (boyfriend)

meye-bondhu (girlfriend)

These words can also mean a friend of the opposite sex.
  7. Becker Junior Member

In Sinhalese,

boyfriend = pemvataa
    girlfriend = pemvati

Also used in the context of "lover." Dating happens in school (frowned upon by the older generation) and at university (accepted by the older generation).

Confused linguist, does bondhu = friend in Bengali? In Sinhalese bandu = friend.
  8. Confused Linguist Senior Member

English & Bengali
    Yes, you're right, 'bondhu' means friend in Bengali.

'Prem' (pem) means love. I didn't know that Bengali had so much in common with Sinhalese. :)
  9. Fernita

Fernita Moderada-mente

Buenos Aires-Argentina
    castellano de Argentina.
    In Argentina:

boyfriend: novio
    girlfriend: novia
  10. Dalian

Dalian Senior Member

Shanghai, China

boyfriend: 男朋友 (nan peng you)
    girlfriend: 女朋友 (nü peng you)
  11. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    pojkvän = boyfriend
    flickvän = girlfriend

prietenul meu/iubitul meu/amicul meu = boyfriend
    prietena mea/iubita mea/ amica mea = flickvän

It's totally acceptable to date here in Sweden and in Romania (here in Sweden it's almost an obligation, but I don't mind :D ), both for girls and boys.

:) robbie
  12. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    In Russian, there's the word бойфренд which is a transliteration of the English 'boyfriend'. But it's rather informal, you shouldn't use it in written language. Mass media do use it, though.
    In written language, возлюбленный/возлюбленная might be more appropriate, but they sound very old-fashioned.
  13. Xerinola

Xerinola Senior Member

Català/Español, Barcelona (SPAIN)
    Hi everybody!

Español: Novio(boyfriend) - Novia(girlfriend)
    Català: Xicot (boyfriend) - Xicota(girlfriend)

14. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    In German, it's really difficult. You could say

fester Freund (boyfriend)
    feste Freundin (girlfriend)

... but if a girl says "Das ist mein Freund" (this is my friend), she's referring to her boyfriend. The same works vice versa.
  15. MingRaymond Senior Member

HK Cantonese
    So, how to say 'this is my friend' in German if that guy is not her boyfriend, only her friend? :)

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    By the way, the same thing occurs in Russian. If a girl says "Он мой друг" (He's my friend - masculine), it is normally understood as that they're in love with each other. But in fact, it may not be so :)
  17. Dobean Junior Member

Gallarate - Italy
    Italian - Italy
    in italian there are a lots of words that can be meaning boyfriend or girlfriend...
    boyfriend: fidanzato, moroso, tipo/ragazzo ("il mio ragazzo/tipo" <- my boy)...
    girlfriend: fidanzata, morosa, tipa/ragazza
  18. Cereth

Cereth Senior Member

language of love
    in japanese:

girlfriend: Kanojyo
    both words mean they really love each other
    this could be the words, but japanese is so difficult in this matter, they don´t have words for: lover or "mistress" for example.....

for japanese people lover is the same than boyfriend/girlfriend....
    i just had a looooong coversation about this matter with my japanese friend. I´m so suprised about the things he told me...eastern and western cultures are so different about this matter.
  19. karuna

karuna Senior Member

The planet Earth
    Latvian, Latvia
    As for dating Latvia is the same as other western countries or even more relaxed. But Latvian also don't have separate words for boyfriend/girlfriend. The words draugs/draudzene simply mean male/female friend. But usually it does not create any misunderstanding because things can be inferred from the context or other words as lover, bride etc., can be used depending on the situation.
  20. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    I know it is quite difficult to grasp, but we have to say "this is a friend" or "this is a friend of mine":

Das ist ein Freund.
    Das ist eine Freundin.

Das ist ein Freund von mir.
    Das ist eine Freundin von mir.

Or to show "deeper" friendship, you can add "good":

Das ist ein guter Freund.
    Das ist eine gute Freundin.
  21. Maja

Maja Senior Member

Binghamton, NY
    Serbian, Serbia
    In Serbian:

Boyfriend - dečko/momak (дечко/момак)
    Girlfriend - devojka (девојка)
  22. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    In Turkish:
    boyfriend = erkek arkadaş
    girl friend = kız arkadaş
    and we say "sevgili" (lover) for both.
  23. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    When you type German sentenses like that, it almost makes German look like a piece of cake to learn! I'll assume I'm wrong and shut my mouth!
  24. MingRaymond Senior Member

HK Cantonese
    Thank you. :)
  25. skatoulitsa

skatoulitsa Senior Member

Greek, Greece
    I've always been frustrated about this topic in greek too. A rather childish way you could refer to it would be:
    το αγόρι μου = my boy
    το κορίτσι μου = my girl

but you will probably never hear these after elementary school any more.

We also have a quite rude way of refering to boyfriend/girlfriends, but you would never use these to introduce someone, and it would also be rather rude to refer to your own boyfriend/girlfriend this way. These are:
    γκόμενος --> boyfriend
    γκόμενα --> girlfriend

Generally using the above is sort of diminishing, as if refering to the relationship as something insignificant/temporary/just physical.

In everyday life, the ones you would probably hear would be:
    η κοπέλα μου = my girl
    ο φίλος μου = my friend

Although the word "κοπέλα" doesn't only possess the "girlfriend" meaning, and means girl in general without the possessive adjective "μου", I do like it as a word to say "girlfriend".
    Us girls however are unfortunately stuck with "friend". I hate it...
  26. claramolin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español - Argentina

Boyfriend: novio
    Girlfriend: novia

Boyfriend: le petit ami
    Girlfriend: la petite amie
  27. misdirection New Member

In Filipino, we use (due to spanish influence):

boyfriend: nobyo
    girlfriend: nobya

but the Tagalog (dialect where the Filipino language was based) translation is:

boyfriend/girlfriend: kasintahan

However, in daily conversations, the words "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are used.
  28. Tisia Senior Member

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    - boyfriend: دوست پسر (dustpesar)
    - girlfriend: دوست دختر (dustdokhtar)

- boyfriend: poikaystävä
    - girlfriend: tyttöystävä

29. Aleco Senior Member

Råde, Norway
    - Kjæreste (both)
    We have two words though: Venninne & venn.
    Venninne = a friend, which is a girl & venn = a friend which is a boy...
  30. big-melon Junior Member

China, Chinese
    in Chinese:

男朋友: boyfriend
    女朋友: girlfriend
  31. kage New Member

Danish, Denmark
    very much like norwegian: kæreste (both genders) :)

32. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    To me dating was always ok, is it not so in your opinion? This is a normal way to spend time with your boyfriend/girlfriend. Hanging out with your partner you can enjoy and get to know each other better. I didn;t know this was a typically western custom, I've always thought that people meet each other everywhere, in which countries don't people go out on dates with each other? And, if people (I mean boyfriend and girlfriend) in certain countries/societies don't date how do they spend time together or get to know one another?

boyfriend-chłopak (mostly used); facet
    girlfriend-dziewczyna (mostly used); kobieta, laska
  33. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska

Don't Feench use for boyfriend/girlfriend (petit) ami (petite) amie, respectively? IMHO, amoreux/amoreuse mean male/female lover, don't they? :)

34. Insider Senior Member

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
    Well, in Ukrainian we don't have special word as in English. In this years it became popular to transliterate English "boyfriend" ---> бойфренд and the same with "girlfriend" ---> герлфренд but, as usual, we use just "a guy" ---> хлопець or "a girl" ---> дівчина, adding personal pronounce "my".

Вона моя дівчина. (She's my girlfriend.)
    Він мій хлопець. (He's my boyfriend.)
  35. Insider Senior Member

Ukraine (Ukrainian)

I believe that nowadays it's almost impossible to hear someone in Russian people, using возлюбленный/возлюбленная. Well, it was absolutely normal to use in times of Tolstoy or Chehov, but not in Sorokin's or Pelevin's years. :) Maybe, my opinion isn't correct.

36. claudine2006

claudine2006 Senior Member

Andalucía Spain
    Italy Italian
    In Italian it's just ragazzo/ragazza.

You can also say fidanzato/fidanzata but it's for the person you're going to marry.

"Moroso" it's a localism used just in the North of Italy. The same for "tipo/tipa": it doesn't sound very polite to me.
  37. claudine2006

claudine2006 Senior Member

Andalucía Spain
    Italy Italian
    In Spanish it's novio/novia (if you're going to get married), better mi chico/ mi chica.
  38. 地獄の森_jigoku_no_mori

地獄の森_jigoku_no_mori Junior Member

Canadian English :)(Also French)
    @ Cereth and anyone who has interest:

Most of the time in Japanese, Kanojo - 彼女(literally meaning she) and Kare - 彼(literally meaning he) will suffice as girlfriend and boyfriend, respectively. You can tell wether they mean, he or boyfriend by the context, ie. "Kare ga imasu ka?" - "彼がいますか?", meaning, "Do you have a boyfriend?" While Kareshi - 彼氏, comes up as boyfriend in my dictionary, I've never heard it used before. On the other hand, if you'd rather not use kanji and just use katakana, bo-ifurendo - ボーイフレンド and ga-rufurendo - ガールフレンド can also be used.

I hope this is informative :)
  39. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Or fiancé.
  40. optimistique Senior Member

It works about the same way in Dutch as in German (also with the 'a friend of'' -thing for 'just friends':dat is een vriend van me= that's a friend of mine ), and it's really confusing:

boyfriend= vriend
    girlfriend= vriendin

These are thus respectively the same words for 'friend' and '(female) friend'.
    For boyfriend of teenagers you can also use the diminutive: vriendje (= little friend). But this is used as just a friend among little children (to raise the confusion some more).

There is confusion sometimes among Dutch people too (especially in communication between older people and younger), but the general thought behind it is that you have more than just one friend (or else you have to linguistically pretend you have), but only one boy-, girlfriend.
  41. Cereth

Cereth Senior Member

language of love
    Quite informative "forest of hell" thank you! and now the problem comes when you try to make the difference between lover and kare/kanojyo japanese friends think is the same thing!!
    As a latin girl i consider those words way different!
  42. 地獄の森_jigoku_no_mori

地獄の森_jigoku_no_mori Junior Member

Canadian English :)(Also French)
    Well, from what I've learned the Japanese are quite shy about their emotions, so if there was a real word for "lover" it would be so rarely used.
  43. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

This is an interesting Persian, the word rafíq is used for both friend AND boyfriend/girlfriend....It's because people don't really "date" in Afghanistan (due to religious and cultural beliefs).

It's a little confusing sometimes to associate who's doing what when using this Persian word. :)

44. tori New Member

เเฟน in Thai, pronounced 'fan' means both boyfriend and girlfriend
  45. aurette

aurette Senior Member

Romanian Romania - Transylvania
    -i would simply add that in Romania there is a confusion between friend and boyfriend because we use the same word: prieten/a.
    -iubit/a clearly means lover
    -amic/a is definitely friend, nothing more

wouldn't you agree, robbie?
  46. happyonend New Member

男朋友 (nan pon you)= boyfriend
    女朋友 (nyu pon you)= girlfriend
    恋人 (lyan ren)=either of above
  47. richardus Banned

Mexico city
    Mexico spanish
    In korean:

여자 친구 -->Girlfriend
    남자 친구 --> Boyfriend
    애인 --> boyfriend/girlfried

약혼녀 --> Fiancée
    약혼자 --> Fiancé

It's quite interesting that in korean and chinese, those words are quite similar, for example,

애인 is written as 愛人 --> Loved person
    여자 친구 女子 友 -->Female friend
    남자 친구 男子 友 -->Male friend
  48. MonsieurAquilone Senior Member

NZ - English
    Often in France you will hear:

Boyfriend : Copain
    Girlfriend : Copine
  49. *Gaia* Junior Member

Italy Italian
    In Japanese you can also say 恋人 "koibito" that it's ok both for men and women; then, 婚約者 "konyakusha" that indicates the official fiancee, the one you're going to marry :)
  50. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia

In Indonesian we say pacar (Indonesian doesn't have grammatical genders).

One may also say cèwèk (girl) or cowok (guy). In both words, the final -k represents a glottal stop.