1. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Hello everyone,
    I can't manage to understand the meaning of this phrase, or at least be sure about it. I'd appreciate your help. It's about fiscal policy in the USA.

Bracket creep means that now includes people with incomes of $75,000—comfortably off, but not the wealthy finaglers the tax was designed for.
    (la fourchette de revenus? / la tranche d'imposition?/le glissement de la fourchette de revenus ?) signifie que maintenant sont inclus des gens qui ont un revenu de $75,000 - donc des personnes aisées, mais pas les riches resquilleurs pour lesquels l'impôt a été conçu.

I do need help as you can see. Thanks in advance.

2. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Someone experiences bracket creep if their income stays the same but the laws regarding what tax rate they have to pay at that income changes, and they suddenly have to pay more tax without earning any more.

They have crept up a tax bracket.

You can also experience bracket creep in the other direction, suddenly paying less tax without earning less money, however that's a lot less common!

I'm sorry, it would have taken me half an hour to try and put that in French, but I hope that helps! :)

3. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thanks a lot, cycloneviv, because this is precisely what I needed. I just could not guess the meaning.
    So I would say
    'la redéfinition des fourchettes de revenus'

4. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    According to my research, Bracket creep is when inflation pushes an individual into a higher bracket, not a change in tax laws.

5. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    That seems quite possible. I thought I'd heard it used the other way, but on the other hand I don't pay a whole lot of attention to economic affairs and could well be off the mark.

In that case, it would mean that their income did rise, due to inflation, and as a result they were now assessed under a higher tax bracket.

6. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thanks David314, then it changes the meaning indeed...
    How about
    'le réajustement des fourchettes de revenus entraînés par l'inflation'
    or
    'le changement de fourchettes de revenus entraînés par l'inflation'
    or
    'le fait que certains foyers aient changé de fourchette de revenus en raison de l'inflation'
    or
    'le passage de certains foyers dans la fourchette de revenus supérieure en raison de l'inflation'
    I don't think we have an idiomatic phrase to explain this in French, so I am bound to make it explicit.

7. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    la dérive fiscale

8. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    :eek: *The tax brackets have not changed yet, that's the problem! This is what you need: Inflation causes wages to rise and subsequently people creep up into higher tax brackets. NOTE: This is bad because their money has less buying power because of inflation, yet they have to pay more taxes. Your lesson is now over for the evening. :p

* it takes time to adjust the tax brackets for inflation.

9. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thanks David314, so it means the last two of my suggestions were right, but not the first two since these ones imply somebody has changed the brackets.
    The lesson was interesting indeed, even though I take stock of the consequences on some people's lives. :eek: