1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Bread & Butter

Discussion in 'English Only' started by aavzla, Oct 10, 2006.

1. aavzla New Member

Aruba
    Spanish - Venezuela
    What does it mean when you say a person is "our bread and butter"???
    Thanks for your help!!!

2. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Our bread and butter: our main source of income.
    Often used in the context of someone's job, where out of several things the person does, one is particularly lucrative.

--- Our law firm handles things from personal injury claims to divorces and child custody cases, but our bread and butter is medical malpractice lawsuits.

3. aavzla New Member

Aruba
    Spanish - Venezuela
    Thank you. . . But i dont completely get it. I dont produce more or less money to this people, and they said: YOU ARE OUR BREAD AND BUTTER. Can it be taken as producing benefits or good things instead of money???
    Gracias!!!

4. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Oh, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully. I am not exactly sure what "bread and butter" means when talking about a person....

Let's wait for more opinions. Any chance we can have the context of that sentence?

5. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    At this moment, I can only think of sports examples! Joe X is the "bread and butter" player on our team. It means he is reliable and can be depended on to help us win our games.

I hope this helps,
    Joelline

6. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    It means that the person provides steady and reliable benefits. The person may not provide the most or the highest benefits but that the person can be relied upon to provide steady and consistent benefits.

7. Mph redux Junior Member

Barcelona
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    There is also another use for this expression.
    Pls, check this interesting Wikipedia link.

cheers,

mph

8. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I think we need as much context as you are willing to give us, aavzla. There have been some wonderful posts, but all might become much clearer if you could tell us a bit more.