1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"break my spirit"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Storditaaa, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Storditaaa

Storditaaa Junior Member

Italy
    Italy Italian
    Hello!Could someone try to explain to me what does "break someone's spirit" mean?(from the song "Goodbye my lover" by James Blunt..)Thanks a lotElisa

2. cheshirechat

cheshirechat Senior Member

lost in wonderland
    English USA
    From looking at the song lyrics, it seems that what he is saying is that the woman who left him will take away his dreams, the things that he hoped and wished for, but she will not be able to destroy him. He and his spirit will go on loving her even though she is gone.

3. Storditaaa

Storditaaa Junior Member

Italy
    Italy Italian
    OK! Got it!
    Thanks!!

4. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    "break someone's spirit" - To break someones will, to break them down emotionally.

Example: You are madly in love with someone and they seem to care about you. You are overjoyed and happy and everything looks great. The following day they leave you for your best friend. You are heartbroken and depressed. "they broke your spirit".

5. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi Storditaaa,

To break someone's spirit means to destroy someone's sense of self, of who they are. It often means to make someone feel worthless.

"I am a dreamer but when I wake,
    You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take."

To me, the lyrics mean: Although you may be able to destroy my dreams by taking them from me, that is all that you can do. My spirit--my sense of self--is rock solid and impossible for you to destroy.