1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Brief wedding congratulations

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by nervzov, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nervzov New Member

english
    hi, I'm sending wedding congratulations to a newly-married couple - the bride is Turkish. How does one congratulate a newly-wed coulple in Turkish?
    cheers, George 'nervzov' Steel

2. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Hayat boyu mutluluklar dilerim! would be fine, 'I wish you a life-time happiness.'

3. nervzov New Member

english
    Many thanks, Chazzwozzer!!

4. Comptrol New Member

istanbul
    English Turkish
    "Allah bir yastikta kocatsin" [let god turn you old together] would even sound more sincerely.

5. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I have to disagree. I wouldn't like to hear it, for example. It's a bit old-fashioned and Islam-centered.

6. mrayp Junior Member

LA
    Amenglish, Turkish
    I agree, the only way I would ever use "Bir yastıkta kocayın", which literally means "grow old on the same pillow" is if I was trying to be humorous. It's very old fashioned. If you add the Allah part, it also becomes a bit too religious.

7. Comptrol New Member

istanbul
    English Turkish
    Chazzwozzer , we call that "old-fashioned" thing as "culture"; in time, I hope, you will learn to possess it, rather than being kind of snobbish.

8. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    And we call this beautiful thing "freedom of conscience and freedom of ideas"; No need to call names. People have right to choose using "Güle güle / Hoşçakal" or "Allaha ısmarladık"; "Merhaba" or "Selamün aleyküm"; "İyi yolculuklar" or "Allah yolunu açık etsin" and so on... I think, they all are part of the culture. Some of them are mainly religious or old fashioned which uttered mostly by elderly, by religious people or in countryside. Some of them reside also in modern culture and they are uttered by everyone, like "İnşallah", etc.
    I've never seen a "Allah bir yastıkta kocatsın" written on a wedding greeting card. Maybe some people use it in greeting cards but I've never seen one. I guess we mainly say it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  9. Revontuli

Revontuli Senior Member

Finland
    Turkey-Turkish

I agree with ukuca. I've never seen ''Allah bir yastıkta kocatsın'' used in a greeting card. And yes, it's a fact that it's something old-fashioned. Aren't most of the expressions/idioms etc that we use so? We're not being ''snobbish'' by saying they are old-fashioned. We all know that these expressions are not ''modern'' ones and yes, they are a part of our culture.

If I got a greeting card on which was written ''Allah bir yastıkta kocatsın'', it'd not sound that nice or natural to me...I agree with Chazzwozzer's suggestion : I wish you a life-time happiness

10. maxguncel

maxguncel Senior Member

istanbul
    Turkish
    Classic Turkish argument. I love my people :)

11. cyaxares_died Senior Member

paris
    Deutsch
    Apart from a card- if I go to a wedding what will I say to the groom whom I know fleetingly?
    What will I say if he tells me of the wedding later on?

'Hayırlı olsun'?

12. aslan

aslan Senior Member

Central Anatolia
    Turkiye Turkish
    "Hayırlı olsun" doesn t sound that much appropriate to me, I would rather say simply "Tebrikler" meant "Congrulations" or as Chazzwozzer said Hayat boyu mutluluklar dilerim! 'I wish you a life-time happiness.'