bring my jug of moonshine

Discussion in 'English Only' started by redgiant, Mar 9, 2013.

1. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Big bruce:My daughter-in-law uses invite as a noun constantly. I hold my tongue but I just want to yell for Jethro to come for vittles. I don't understand it either. She is a very intelligent woman. She is a college graduate and valedictorian of her class in high school. Oh well, I guess when I get and invite from her I should be sure to bring my jug of moonshine with me.

Thread: invitation/invite

The use of "Invite" as a noun has been gaining ground , to the point where it has passed unremarked by educated speakers. But the tendency is frowned upon by many members in that thread.

Does "bringing my jug of moonshine with me" have anything to do with the use of invite he disapproves of? Or is it just some personal tangent?:eek:

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Moonshine normally is equated with hillbilly lack of education and sophistication.

The use here appears to be sarcasm.

3. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    It is a metaphor, used ironically, meaning: 'behave like a hillbilly' (in order to fit in with the use of language to which he is objecting).

4. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you, sdgrham and wandle~

5. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    It's not that he'll take a jug of illegally-brewed alcohol to sweeten her and/or deaden his senses?