British morning socks

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by therealradish, May 27, 2011.

1. therealradish Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Hi,
    I was watching an episode of How I met your mother and one of the characters says that he doesn' use sleepers but British morning socks.
    I guess it's a made up definition but can someone explain why it makes the other characters laugh? Just because British morning socks do not exist?

Thanks in advance.

2. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian
    Forse un po' più di contesto e le frasi esatte aiuterebbero...
    Per esempio, uno è inglese e l'altro no (americano?).
    Ho fatto una ricerchina, e si parla di un ragazzo che si presenta a casa di una ragazza con una borsa con l'occorrente per passarvi la notte.
    Il resto magari raccontalo tu :)

3. Holymaloney

Holymaloney Senior Member

Italy
    English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi :)!
    I think it should be slippers = ciabatte (and not sleepers) ;)
    There are plenty of hits is g****e if you enter "british morning socks" and the major part are linked to the tv series 'how I met your mother'. http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&q...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
    They seem to be colourful socks that you wear instead of slippers and the other characters probably laughed because these socks are a bit ridiculous:D
    Cheers ;)

4. therealradish Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Yes, exactly, I wrote I've been watching an episode of How I met your mother.
    I was wondering why they're called "British".
    Thanks for correcting me.

5. SAGSCO New Member

English
    For Clarification, British Morning Socks are British euphemism for a condom.:D

6. johnnylucas Junior Member

London
    English - England
    Interesting . . . I've never heard that used, ever. I must be an innocent, I suppose;). Interesting to know if any other Brits know this term--I may be the only one who has never heard of this!

7. gandolfo

gandolfo Senior Member

Back in Roma Roma
    English-British
    Never heard it in my life johnny, you're not alone:) I think sagsco's definition is from the Urban dictionary and there is only one reference so I don't think it's so diffused....;)

8. Matrap

Matrap Est Mod In Rebus

Abruzzo, Italy
    Italiano
    Hi

I found the episode and how the expression was translated into Italian: "calze da risveglio mattutino". :D Hope it helps.

9. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I've NEVER heard this one, but it could fit with Gianfry's "occorrente per passarvi la notte"!:D

10. Matrap

Matrap Est Mod In Rebus

Abruzzo, Italy
    Italiano
    Yes I like this one better. This phrase lends itself to numerous interpretations :D

11. johnnylucas Junior Member

London
    English - England
    hi gandolfo (gandy?)

'Never heard it in my life johnny'

Is that a pun?:D

12. gandolfo

gandolfo Senior Member

Back in Roma Roma
    English-British
    Well it was unintentional JL;) :D

13. johnnylucas Junior Member

London
    English - England
    Don't worry, I found it funny. Actually that's not my name anyway, so I don't care:). As long as I'm not called BMSlucas from now on, I'll be alright:D

14. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I've never heard it either.;) The fact that it says "British" does however suggest to me that it's an American turn of phrase: they certainly use "British" more than we do.:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012