1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Brown rice

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Cosmas1, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Cosmas1 Senior Member

Hello forum friends,

How does one say "brown rice" in Greece. I remember being puzzled by this last time I was there.

Thank you.

2. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Hi Cosmas1,

It's called μαύρο ρύζι and sometimes it's referred to as άγριο ρύζι,

3. winegrower Senior Member

Brown rice is, I think, rice that has not had its brown-colored bran covering removed, so it can be also called "μη αποφλειωμένο ρύζι".

4. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Actually, "μη αποφλοιωμένο ρύζι", strictly speaking, refers to unhusked rice. Brown rice is what is produced when the husk is removed.

5. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
  6. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    In that case I suppose we shouldn't overlook καφέ ρύζι and καφετί ρύζι but for some reason the term μαύρο ρύζι appears by far to be the more common choice. The same thing occurs with μαύρο ψωμί.

7. Nightelf Junior Member

Greek
    I work in a food company and I am very well aware of this product. I buy tons of them.:)

So the proper Greek term for brown rice is : Ρύζι καστανό or Ρύζι αναποφλοίωτο. Brown rice has nothing to do with black rice. Black rice is a special rice varitey

Sometimes you need to make further distinctions such as Round rice brown (= ρύζι κοντό καστανό) Long rice brown (=ρύζι μακρύ καστανό). When we say in Greek καστανό ρύζι it is pretty much the same by saying: ρύζι αναποφλοίωτο.

I am very confident of what I say but any objections are welcome :)

8. Nightelf Junior Member

Greek
    Dear cougr,

What you said is correct in a manner. Common Greek people may refer to rice brown as "ρύζι καστανό" or "ρύζι μαύρο" or even "ρύζι καφέτι" as a matter of a popoulist expression and description of this product.

However, once they have to buy it from a super-market or in terms of trade in general, the most appropriate terms are: "Ρύζι καστανό" and "Ρύζι αναποφλοίωτο".

Regards

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  9. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    It appears that ρύζι καστανό is coming into vogue more and more in which case some English-Greek dictionaries (including our own here at Wordreference:)) will soon be required to modify their translation of the term (ie brown rice).

I also understand that there is a tendency by some quarters to refer to brown rice as μη αποφλοιωμένο or αναποφλοίωτο ρύζι, however this is erroneous as both these terms, when correctly applied, refer to "unhusked" or "paddy" rice. These are different to "brown rice" which by definition is rice which has had it's husk (and only it's husk) removed. In Greek, the correct term for this is αποφλειωμένο ρύζι ie husked rice (which is synonymous to brown rice). Further processing then leads to "milled rice" or λευκασμένο ρύζι which is basically the common white rice which most people are used to.

10. Cosmas1 Senior Member

This is interesting. Am I right in saying that Greeks don't think much about brown rice vs. white rice just as they don't seek out whole wheat bread over white bread? Or is that changing with consciousness over health? I remember last summer looking at the racks of rice in the supermarket and not really seeing much in the way of brown rice. Thank you everyone.

11. Nightelf Junior Member

Greek
    @Cougr
    Yes, I strongly believe that the definition needs to be rectified. Or, as I said it can be said as "μαύρο ρύζι" among common people and they indeed perceived it as "αναποφλοίωτο". Maybe it has to be a distinction.

@Cosmas1
    I believe that most Greeks do not really bother if the rice will be white or brown. This concern is mostly related with the people who are also interested in buying organic products. Suffice it to say, that only the 1-3 % of Greek food market is related with organic products. The rest goes to conventional.
    However, most supermarkets have brown rice on their disposal. Maybe some small supermarkets may not have. It depends on the local demand. Some supermarkets that are located in rural areas or islands may also not have. But you will definitely find in big supermarkets at big cities.

12. Nightelf Junior Member

Greek

Yes, indeed. I also believe that the term ρύζι καστανό is more precise than ρύζι μαύρο or ρύζι καφέ.
    In the company that I work (organic trading company) we officially call these products as Ρύζι καστανό or Ρύζι αναποφλοίωτο.

Greetings from rainy Athens!
    :)

13. Cosmas1 Senior Member

Thank you, all. This is fascinating. It all makes sense. When we arrive in Athens next month, I won't feel like such a foreigner when I stumble around looking for the wrong rice in the wrong place.
    Thank you.