1. Doobie Member

Hi. I'm trying to find out about brown sugar in France -- whether it is available, whether something else is used, etc. To that end, I've been looking up translations. I've come across "cassonade" on this site, and "sucre roux" elsewhere. What is "cassonade"? ... Does anyone know if there is a French equivalent to American light brown sugar, which is very soft and a bit moist?

2. SalvadorFreemanson Senior Member

English - London 1960s
    I once visited a sugar museum (in Mauritius). At the end of the visit we tasted a whole range of different kinds of sugar. The names were all in French (which has taken over from English as the country's main language) - unfortunately I didn't take notes, but it does confirm that French names for different kinds of sugar do exist.
  3. Miss Chacha Senior Member

Nord de la France
    France; French
    cassonade=brown sugar
  4. DOM78

DOM78 Senior Member

Plaisir, near Versailles
    France ; français
  5. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Is your brown sugar soft or crystalline, light or dark? The soft light stuff is pretty similar to cassonade, I think.
  6. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    sucre roux => cassonade => brown sugar
  7. Doobie Member

Thanks to all. That helps a lot!
  8. dominixque Senior Member

cassonnade = light brown sugar, which is very soft and a bit moist
  9. téléchat New Member

Cassonade is brown, but it is not what Americans refer to as "brown sugar" it is raw sugar... brown sugar is different and contains molasses.... however, I too am searching for the appropriate translation (leclerc does not even sell american brown sugar)
  10. Doobie Member

I ended up using Cassonade where my recipe, which was a cheesecake, called for light brown sugar. It worked fine.
  11. eleli Member

French from France
    on peut même aussi dire sucre brun
  12. loze85

loze85 Senior Member

UK, English
    "La vergeoise" is the french for what we in the UK call "soft brown sugar" but its impossible to find here in Switzerland... Cassonade (top right in the pic) is more similar to Demerara in the UK.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  13. c1wang

c1wang Senior Member

07030 USA (50+ ans)
    Chinese - Mandarin
    I was looking for the word for "brown suger" in French, having the chinese version of the image in mind and when I saw this page: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassonade I immdeiately recognized that it is the one on the lower right corner. It is "rapadura". This word is derived from latin american language (explained in http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/rapadura) and is not yet commonly listed in many dictionaries. Google it, French people do use this word.
  14. yankeefrog

yankeefrog Senior Member

NE France
    USA- English
    I would NEVER use cassonade when a recipe calls for brown sugar- you're better off with sucre vergeoise. It works fine in my recipes!