Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Carol89, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Carol89 Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Can a man be a brunette?

Example: He is a brunette.
  2. Carfer

Carfer Senior Member

Paris, France
    Portuguese - Portugal
    No, not at all, but that's a good question. What's the white man with dark hair equivalent? (The 'white' comes from my dictionary)
  3. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    He is a brunette because he has brown hair. (common language US-EN)
    This a word taken from the french so it may sound too feminine (the word is the feminine of "brun") or too gay so it is usually used by women refering to men or in a gay setting.

The french will say refering to hair " Il est brun/brunet /Elle est brun/brunette"-> literally "He is brown /She is brunette" . (one of the dictionaries fliped out with this one :) )

Brunette - "Jeune femme, jeune fille dont les cheveux sont bruns, tirent sur le brun. Une jolie brunette."
    Brunet - Dont les cheveux tirent sur le brun :

Apesar da forma correcta de dizer seria "he his a brunet" não ia ser/pode não ser entendido.

A more neutral way is to say "He has brown/brownish hair"

He is a blonde because he has blonde hair.

He is a redhead because he has red hair.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Sobre o uso de brunette com referência ao masculino, dê uma olhadinha nesta discussão dos nativos no EO, Carol.
  5. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    In the English only forum someone suggest the use when referring to men :

"He is brown-haired"

I also seen this format in "She is red-haired", so it could be even more neutral (applicable to both feminine and masculine genders), and with no other connotations other that the color of the hair, and leaving no doubts the speaker is talking about hair and not skin or eye color.
  6. ham_let Member

Ottawa, ON
    Canada / English
    Personally I have never heard this.....................

Guys just don't call each other brunettes.
  7. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    From a little google search, I found many (if not all) English speaking.....................gays use it :

(Vanda sorry for his/the foul language)

And even a unheard one ... "brunette-ness" :

from ham_let
    Did you read my post you quoted ? .... :confused:
    Why, because their sexuality would be in doubt ? And who is doubting when one hears calling a man or is called a "brunette" ?

If you get so aroused by this, as native english speaker, what is your solution then ?
  8. Antonio Miguel New Member

In french the good way to speak about dark haired is :
    for a man:
    Il est (he is) brun
    and for a woman:
    Elle est (she is) brune

For blondes haired :
    Il est blond (a man)
    Elle est blonde (a woman)

For red haired:
    Il est roux (a man)
    Il est rouquin (a man)

Elle est rousse (a woman)
    Elle est rouquine (a woman)
  9. ham_let Member

Ottawa, ON
    Canada / English
    No, it's simply because it comes of as terribly awkward, at least here in Canada. Equally awkward as using the word "aroused" in this particular context heeheehee. :) (And of course I read your post or I would not have replied, silly)

It's far more commonplace (among "the gays" :rolleyes:) to say that one has "brown hair" or "dark hair", much in the same way that there is no single word for a man with jet black hair.

For the sake of this person's query, just take it from me, and not from google or urbandictionary. You'll be understood but if you call a guy a brunette, you will get a brief look of confusion. It's like calling a woman handsome. Nonstandard, that's all.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  10. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    You did not my posts! That is a fact ! :p

I said in the first post that, and I quote myself :

"A more neutral way is to say "He has brown/brownish hair""

I agree, it does not matter (for me at least) if you are gay or not ? Fist you never heard then is commonplace among gays? Where do we stand ?

In apparently gay sites that was were I found it to be used. Stating a fact !
    I also found women talking about the favorite actor referring to them that way. Another fact, another commonplace !

So, I said it can be used in those settings !

My understanding was / I concluded that (again) :

"A more neutral way is to say "He has brown/brownish hair""

I won't use "standard" because there is also many other English speakers that would say differently (you can find a thread in the forum about this in which some one says the "standard" is "brown-haired" ).
  11. ham_let Member

Ottawa, ON
    Canada / English
    I did; and yes that is what you said, yet to sum up your entire post:

"A neutral way to say X is Y; Z sounds "too gay" because it is "French" but if you are gay or a woman you can say Z."

The stuff in bold is rather presumptuous but you'd be surprised at how much can be taken form posts on forums. This is important because I think the last half of the sentence is also wrong, in that although it's usage exists, it is still RATHER rare, and it would be in one's best interest not to teach people that SOME people RARELY say something X way, because they will just take it and run with it for the rest of their lives.

Sendo um "native English speaker", apesar do que diz google search, para mim o uso é bastante raro entre todos, nem importa sexualidade nem gênero. Parece mto forçado (awkward?)

Ahhh hehehh para mim os 2 são intercambiáveis e equivalentes. Os dois são os "padrões". Porém, "brunette" é coisa totalmente diferente.
  12. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    Well to close this (from my part!): :)
    First, I am not a teacher here ! I am giving away my knowledge and experiences !

Second, may be rare but the original poster stumble on to it, making it present.

Third, if it is present on should never hide the "truth" inside some "closet". Democracy is made of options, not common or rare stuff. If the word exists and it is used it then becomes an option.

Fourth, the fact is that this word taken from the French but "its masculine was lost in time". (In New Orleans sites I saw it).

Fifth and last, glad we could agree the general sentence is either "he has brown hair", "he is Brown-haired" or "please dye your hair other color than brown" ;)

Be well ! Cumprimentos deste Português.:)