1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

BSC: Bosnian-Serbian-Croatian dictionary of definitions

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by MasterPolish, Sep 22, 2013.

1. MasterPolish Junior Member

Poland
    Polski
    Hi there,

I was wondering — but were unable to neither confirm nor deny — is there a dictionary of definitions for BCS or for any of the languages? If yes, it is legitimized by any linguistic body? Like Merriam-Webster or Oxford for English, Le Grand Robert / Larousse for French, uden for German, PWN for Polish etc.? And how many entries do it/they contain?

Thanks for all the info!

2. Anicetus Senior Member

Croatian
    Of course there are dictionaries, but none of them has a tradition as long as the Oxford English Dictionary.

The most exhaustive finished dictionary is probably Yugoslav Academy of Sciences and Arts' (renamed to Croatian in 1991) Rječnik hrvatskoga ili srpskoga jezika, which allegedly contains more than 250 thousand entries. It took from 1880 to 1976 to be completed and, unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since.

Another notable dictionary is Rečnik srpskohrvatskoga književnog jezika, with about 150 thousand entries. Its six tomes were published from 1967 to 1976, first two of them jointly by Matica hrvatska and Matica srpska, the remaining four by Matica srpska alone.

Other, smaller, dictionaries include Alija Isaković's Rječnik bosanskoga jezika from 1995, Miroslav Krleža Lexicographical Institute and Školska knjiga's 2000 Rječnik hrvatskoga jezika, with about 64 thousand entries, and Matica srpska's 2007 Rečnik srpskoga jezika of about 85 thousand entries.

The most popular newer dictionary in Croatia is probably Vladimir Anić's Rječnik hrvatskoga jezika, first published in 1991, with a few later editions. Hrvatski jezični portal -- a very good free online resource, that we often refer to here on the forum -- is based mostly on Anić's work. The portal claims that it contains 116.516 entries.

That's what I know about BCS dictionaries, but I may not be best informed!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. MasterPolish Junior Member

Poland
    Polski
    Wow, this reply seems nearly exhaustive and very instructive – thanks! But if anybody else feels inclined to add anything, please feel free to! :)

I wonder if I will be able to obtain any of those next year though...

4. Милан Senior Member

Novi Sad, Serbia
    Serbian (Србија)
  5. MasterPolish Junior Member

Poland
    Polski
    Thanks! Will check them out :)