Bude taková mlha, že i ptáci budou chodit pěšky.

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by ilocas2, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ilocas2

ilocas2 Senior Member

Dobrý den, potřeboval bych přeložit do angličtiny následující větu:

Bude taková mlha, že i ptáci budou chodit pěšky.

Děkuji předem.

2. svoboda Junior Member

australia
    english - english
    It will be so foggy, that even the birds will be on foot.

3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Without context, I think I'd say "... even the birds will be walking around instead of flying." Chodit pěšky is usually best translated as "to walk". "On foot" is, of course, possible, but sounds more Germanic (zu Fuss gehen) than native English. The dictionary gives it, but people who compile dictionaries often don't have a good idiomatic knowledge of the target language.

(Source: auto.idnes.cz): "Levnější už je jen chodit pěšky: elektroskútr jede 100 km za pět korun..." The only cheaper way is to walk...
    (Source: bike-forum.cz) "Už na to seru, budu chodit pěšky." Sod it! I'll walk.
    (Source: prozeny.blesk.cz) "5 důvodů proč chodit pěšky: Zhubnete a posílíte srdce!" Five reasons to walk: you'll lose weight and make your heart stronger!
    (Source: abicko.cz) Jdu dobývat svět! O lidech, kteří se nebojí chodit pěšky." I'm going to conquer the world! People who are not afraid to walk.
    (Source: aktualne.centrum.cz) Cameron začal šetřit, ministři budou chodit pěšky: Cameron's cuts: ministers will have to walk.

Cf: "Mrs Cameron is one of the few still to use an official car after David Laws, the former Chief Secretary to the Treasury, ordered ministers to walk to meetings in a bid to save millions of pounds." (source: The Telegraph), and

"Do you ever walk out of the front door and think 'sod it I'll walk'? I do, often as well. Sometimes before I even get ready for work, I think I'll just walk, It only takes about 10 mins longer and is healthier to boot. (Source: overclockers.co.uk)

I can't imagine a native saying "go on foot" in any of the five Czech examples above. And what are they saying in the two English examples for "chodit pěšky"? To walk.

And if we look at the German (dict.cc here) dictionary translations of "zu Fuss gehen", they don't say "on foot" at all. :cool:

[Edit: Just realised it's an old thread... Never mind, perhaps someone might still find the post helpful.]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013