Budu si dělat co chci.

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by Vitalore, May 31, 2014.

1. Vitalore Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Greetings. I have recently started to study Czech and I'm curious about the difference between these two phrases. What does the "si" mean here?

Thanks.

2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi Vitalore, this is a complex subject because 'si' can convey different meanings for the verb, according to the context. There is a good paper on the many different uses or 'submeanings' of what is often described as 'the ethical dative si' here,* and you need the section "3. The Use of si to Express Dative: An Experiencer" about halfway down the page. In the particular sentence you asked about (Budu si dělat, co chci), it emphasises the experience I will have and enjoy in doing whatever I do, I will be able to indulge myself.

It's sometimes possible to bring out the nuance in translation, and here you might say the first - Budu dělat, co chci - is "I'll do what I want" and for the second, you might convey it as "I'll be able to do whatever I like". It's an attempt to convey that whatever I do, it will be an experience very personal to me, I will indulge myself, I will enjoy doing it.

The paper is worth reading right through, if you have the time, though it is probably much more than a beginner needs to know.

*“The Dative Case in Czech: What It Means and How si Fits in”, by Laura A. Janda, University of North Carolina.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  3. risa2000 Junior Member

To distinguish the two phrases by the feelings they convey:
    Budu dělat co chci - I will do what I want (to do). In a sense I will not be forced to do something else. (what EM wrote above)
    Budu si dělat co chci - I will do what I would like to do without paying attention to the situation/needs of the others/necessity. (in addtion to what EM wrote above)