1. Homermex New Member

English - United States
    I am interested in the definition of the colloquial phrase "buena leche," particularly in Latin America, and even more particularly in Mexico. Many of the dictionaries I have consulted translate the term as "good luck." However, the phrase seems to have other meanings - roughly equivalent to "cool!" in English.

Any thoughts?
  2. cristina friz Senior Member

español, valdivia, Chile
    In Chile "Buena Leche" ,is a person with good intentions, a good guy, you can trust in him/her
    It is not formal term.

El/ella es buena leche

JAI GURU DEVA OM Senior Member

Hi, I believe it would be better if you give us some little more context for this as this "slang expression" might have more than one meaning, considering how many places this can be used in.

For the moment I can say that "buena or Mala ( bad) Leche" is mostly used to refering to other people or individual, like " El es buena leche" " the guy is cool or has no bad intentions" , could also be that the guy is loyal ( to his friends or anything alike). This is all talking about Chile case.

It isnt bad waiting for any further comments.

Om Shanti ;)
  4. pacopi Member

Castellano España
    En España la idea y el uso son similares.
    Yo diría, sin embargo:
    "Ella tiene buena leche" = "Ella tiene buen carácter"

Es mucho menos usual que su contrario: "mala leche" = "mal carácter" :)
  5. Jigoku no Tenshi

Jigoku no Tenshi Senior Member

Valencia - Venezuela
    Well at least in my country, we don't use "buena leche" as "good luck", but we use "mala leche" as "though luck" or "bad luck" as an answer when something doesn't wind up as we want, for example:

Me: -I couldn't get the job!: ¡No pude conseguir el empleo!
    You: -Though luck!:¡Mala leche!

But never it's used like, good luck:buena leche, I don't know other locations, but in my country is not used like that, but! there's always a but!, we use another milky related expression:

¡Si eres lechu'o(lechudo)!:You are so Lucky!

According to the original example it shoul be:

Me: -I got the job!:¡conseguí el trabajo!
    You: -You are so Lucky!¡Si eres lechu'o(lechudo)!
    or better
    Me: I found 1000$ on the street: Me conseguí 1000$ en la calle
    You: -You are so Lucky!¡Si eres lechu'o(lechudo)!

But be carefully, They both considered a very vulgar expressions, related with semen, not with the product of a cow, so, My suggestion at least in my country is not use it, not even among friends, because they can't turn the expression against you:D

I hope It can hepl!
  6. La tia Tata Member

Ezeiza, al sur de Buenos Aires
    spanish (argentino)
    In Argentina:
    Tengo mala leche=I have bad luck
    Me lo dijo con mala leche= He told me sth. with bad intentios, bad wave ("mala onda")
    El es buena leche=he is a good person, with good intentions
    (Sorry by my english)
  7. Javier-Vega Senior Member

Mexico espanol
    En México significa lo mismo que en Chile, sólo que no se dice que "una persona es buena leche" sino que "es de buena leche", pero significa también que es una persona de buenas intenciones en quién se puede confiar. Del mismo modo, una persona "de mala leche" es alguien malintencionado e intrigante.