1. padredeocho Banned

United States
    Yo nunca andaría con un buey que se tiró a ti.

What does that mean. Two girls were talking. I think it means I'd never go out with a jerk that dumped you.
  2. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Close. Just change dumped for have f*cked.
  3. padredeocho Banned

United States
    Wow. I saw this in a pretty wholsesome Mexican show called Rebelde. I doubt that is what she meant. is there another meaning?
  4. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

has slept with you.
  5. southernicicle

southernicicle Junior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    May be that episode u watched wasn´t as wholesome as the programme is usually meant to be :p ; as far as i know, "tirarse a alguien" is what bocha has explained :) ie, the vulgar version to " to sleep with someone"
  6. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
  7. VLADI11711

VLADI11711 Junior Member

HI. you're right your sentence it's ok but ''buey'' for mexicans people means something such as homie or fella or dude
    I hope that help.
  8. padredeocho Banned

United States
  9. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    The term güey was derived from calling a person buey to mean dumb. Sometimes they will use that word instead of güey since it still is not considered a polite word and until recently wasn't heard on television. Of course, now there's even talk show hosts that say it constantly (ej. Adal Ramones from Monterrey)
    Rebelde, a soap opera aimed at teens, would prob. use the more polite term.
  10. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

Not buey, the one your referring to is güey. On the other hand to call someone Buey in not ambiguous, your calling him tarado, tonto.
  11. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

I know that in Mexico, 'buey' means 'dumb'. But everywhere else, 'buey' is an 'ox', that is, a castrate 'toro'. So, it is used to express that some one is either impotent or, frequently, a coward, or at least, a tame fellow.
  12. Sammo Senior Member

"Close. Just change dumped for have f*cked."

It's vulgar, but not that vulgar.

"Screwed" is the equivalent of it.

"Yo nunca andaría con un buey que se tiró a ti."

I would translate it as:

I would never go out with some dude who screwed you.
  13. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    IForestier and Humberto are right, the word the Mexicans used is "güey", I've been corrected twice for Mexicans when I said "buey".

14. QuestaGirl New Member

American English/New Mexico USA
    My supervisor, who is from Costa Rica and has studied slang linguistics, stated that either spelling buey or güey is correct. The term is one used by Mexicans and was once used as an insult because to call someone buey or güey (ox) meant that he had no balls. For those who do not know, an ox is a bull that has been castrated.
  15. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Yo no entendería que esto tiene que ver con relaciones sexuales, porque dice "que se tiró a ti", no dice "que te tiró" ni siquiera "que quiso darte un tiro", lo que los mexicanos entenderíamos como "se acostó contigo" o "se quiso tirar contigo". En este caso el sentido es que literalmente se le fue encima, con o sin intenciones sexuales, como en un partido de fútbol o en un autobus, para hacer más espacio.

En cuanto a lo de buey, hay muchos hilos en el foro al respecto pero para nosotros puede ser "buey, güey, o wey", no hace ninguna diferencia . . .
  16. QuestaGirl New Member

American English/New Mexico USA
    I'm not commenting on the meaning of the statement. If you will notice, the subject in the first post is in reference to the word "buey." All I'm saying is this...as any word, whether it be Spanish, English, German, or any other, one must first look at the origin of the word and what it meant at that time. Granted, many words have had their meanings changed over the years. Take for example the English word "gay." The original word meant to be happy, joyous. And look how it is used now. Some words change for the better - from someone who has no balls, to someone who is just your "buddy," some change for the worse, such as "gay."
  17. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Hay clara diferencia en pronunciación de wey o guey a buey. En cuanto a uso, en Mexico se usa todos para decir mas o menos lo mismo, pero uno es menos vulgar que el otro.
    Fuera de la Rep. Mexicana y países limitrofes, mejor usar buey (ox) porque guey no se usa. Significa toro castrado o ser humano con las caracteristicas asociadas con dicho animal.
  18. torcuatogemini Senior Member

Español, México
    Yo sospecho que lo que dijeron fue "que se te tiró a tí", lo cual es equivalente a "se te aventó", esto es, le pidió que fuera su novia.

Comentario tardío, pero tal vez sea conveniente para complementar este thread (aunque aquí la discusión gira en torno a bueyes y güeyes)
  19. Hugh Caddess New Member

English USA
    Half a century ago in the USA, we frequently heard and used the term "dumb ox" for someone who was stupid. In the comic strips, it was generally written as it was pronounced, either dummox or dummux. As the use of draft animals has declined, so has that expression, but when I hear "wey" or "buey," I understand it to mean stupid in most contexts.

20. Oklaz-City-405 New Member

In Mexican culture Wuey came from the Spanish word Buey, meaning Ox/Bullock. The way it was supposed to be used for was to call people stupid and/or that they had no balls. There is two ways to use it, one friendly and one offensive.

The definition is:

1. m. Méx.
    Persona tonta. U. t. c. adj. (Meaning: adj. Stupid person)

It has become a colloquial use among teenagers, even adults.

- Hola güey, ¿qué haces? (Hey ‘you/Homie/Guy/Brother/Buddy’ what´s up?)

The Friendly way to use it is in such phrases like "Que Paso Wuey" which is kind of like "What's Up Dude"
    The offensive way to use it is in such phrases like "Como Estas Tan Wuey" which is kind of like "You Really Are Stupid"

Remember that these two words HAVE DIFRENT MEANINGS and DO NOT sound the same.
    Buey: Ox/Bullock (Informal and very disrespectful to call somebody that, Why? because your calling them an animal, and not only that but the definition for a Bullock (Which is English for the word Buey) is: a castrated domestic bull. Some people will even kick your ass over it)
    Wuey: Dude, Homie, Guy, Brother, Buddy such things like that. (Formal, only to be used with people you know, other people might kick your ass)

Also, Wuey and especially Buey being used for friendly use or not, it is strongly advised not to be used on people you don't know and in front of elders because it's very disrespectful to do so. They'll probably just think your an ignorant uneducated person.
  21. Maximus07

Maximus07 Senior Member

Northern California
    "Yo nunca andaría con un buey que se tiró a ti."

Just a thought but i would have translated that as:

"I would never go out with (someone) that threw himself at you"

i would never go out with some that is that desperate that he just threw himself at you right away......
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  22. lamamichelle New Member

The way it was explained to me:

Buey: dumbass

Güey: man, dude, bro, etc.

So be nice, use güey ;)
  23. ZihuaRob

ZihuaRob Junior Member

Zihuatanejo, México
    English - USA
    I agree with Maximus07 that "tirarse a alguien" was meant literally "to throw oneself at someone" the same as it would be used in English.

As for güey, we use this every day all the time in Mexico. While it can be used as an offense, it has lost much of its vulgarity and appears all over the place in our everyday colloquialisms and common expressions.

"No manches, güey."

"Ubícate, güey."

"Leer, güey, incrementa, güey, tu vocabulario, güey."
  24. k32081 New Member

San Marcos, California
    English - U.S.A.
    Buey 1.jpg
    Buey 2.jpg
    I put a few images that I took from the Real Academia Española's dictionary for everyone to take a look at. I think things like this happen in many different languages. Some of the previous comments were correct, however I think spelling variations have less to do with the overall meaning and more to do with dialectical differences in different countries where the "same" official language is in use; or maybe by their region which can affect the spelling and/or spelling preferences. It is my presumption that the original definition of "buey" meant "ox," as in the animal to refer to " un macho vacuno castrado," which at first probably was the only word for "ox" but later took on the meaning that is conveyed in Mexico (in certain circumstances) as slang (jerga). You could sit here and argue until you're blue in the face about whether or not it is "buey," "güey," or "wey" and I don't think it makes one bit of difference because it has more to do with the context in which the word(s) is/are used/said. The word "wey" may be considered a real word in Spanish but it would be due to its proximity and/or contact with the English language. The English language could have influenced its spelling since we all know that Spanish did not originally contain the letters "k" or "w" and were "loaned" and or "borrowed" as "loanwords" by the donor language - in this case English - to accommodate the languages limitations with certain sounds and words new to their vocabulary. I have seen many of these variations written from time to time and I don't think one is more correct than the other as the context of the sentence will determine the semantic of the word regardless of the spelling. One could argue that the first word in Spanish was "buey" whereas its own people bastardized the spelling due to mispronunciation of their own word or not writing it correctly because there is a major difference in the way one says "buey" and "güey," however over the years both probably became acceptable due to the high frequency of their use. Later, it then became acceptable in three different ways to present each word. In languages, usually the first thing to arrive is a word, then following the "invention" of the word comes the "spelling" and/or written aspect of the word. This has happened many times in English. The words "favourite" and "favorite" are an example of two words spelled differently that mean the same thing, but one is preferred and acceptable in the U.S. whereas the other is acceptable in the U.K. The words "color" and "colour" are different in orthography yet the same in their meaning. The "faggot" is also written interchangeably with the word "fagot" and I have also read "faget." Now which word appeared first? I am not sure, however the overall importance is that when used pejoratively it takes on the same significance as "homosexual" whereas it could still be used to signify the original meaning of "a bundle of sticks" and "fag" can be "cigarette" in the U.K. and almost always considered "homosexual (usually referring only to males)" in the U.S. These are examples of words that may be written differently that have the same or different meaning(s) when the context is taken into consideration but one word or may have been created first. Hopefully this makes sense.
  25. luisinkc Junior Member

English - U.S./Spanish - Chile
    Oklaz-City-405 Thank you for properly connecting the two. I felt like digging my own eyes out with a spoon as I was reading some of the earlier posts in the thread.

Only thing is I don't hear any sort of sharp distinction being made between "buey" and "wuey". The initial "b" simply weakens as people talk, just like "bueno" tends to sound almost like "wueno" when people actually say it. In the 80's and 90's when I was a kid/teenager in California no one was making any distinction between the words, and the distinction between the examples you gave as friendly vs. offensive were purely contextual and had nothing to do with claiming that "wuey" was somehow something different than "buey"-- and either way it was regarded as something "ghetto" and not to be used in formal or polite company, older adults, etc.

I do know of an elementary school child who tried that on a teacher's aide I knew (¡"no dije 'buey', dije 'wey'"!) in the early 2000's. I double checked with a Mexican friend of mine (actually lived in Mexico till his early teens) who has a master's degree in Spanish and he laughed and dismissed the distinction as complete nonsense.

On a side note, we have a similar phenomenon in Chile with "huevón". It was originally meant to be insulting, roughly equivalent to something like "numb-nuts", "dim-wit", "dumbass", etc, but people said it so much it started taking on a meaning more like "man", "dude", etc. Along with that, the pronunciation has eroded down to "weón", but pronouncing it that way doesn't make it any more classy, or non-insulting. It can still be used as an insult, but that depends completely on the context.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014