1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

build a case

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by PaniWladca, May 18, 2013.

1. PaniWladca

PaniWladca Junior Member

Polonia
    polski
    Witam ponownie :)

Przechodząc do rzeczy:
    Ma ktoś pomysł jak przetłumaczyć pogrubione wyrażenie? Argumentuje za (innowacją)? Prowadzi (przygotowuje) do dyskusji na temat (innowacji...)?

2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    To chyba inna wersja wyrażenia 'make a case for' - klik. Po zapoznaniu się z linkiem, tłumaczenie nie powinno stanowić problemu.

3. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    Polish/English - bilingual
    First:
    Also, not sure about the "a" before company. Unless it's first mention, I would go for the definite article.

Second:

"Build a case" is absolutely NOT the same as "make a case for"! Build a case is mostly used in legal context, as in the following example:
    It means that it was difficult for the detective to find evidence of the crime and thus make grounds for, say, an arrest warrant.

In more general terms, building a case is gathering infromation, assets, or the like, for a specific purpose.

Therefore, "building a case for innovation" means to provide any resources necessary in order to make that innovation possible.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    In the light of such a detailed and comprehensive answer, the only thing I can do is to bow and stand corrected. I'm glad I've used the word 'chyba' in my previous post, I feel somewhat justified. :D

On a more serious note, it doesn't bring any closer to finding an apt Polish translation, which is what the OP asked for. At least for now, I can't come up with one, but I'll add to the thread when I have. Perhaps 'zbierać argumenty za...'?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    @dreamlike - No harm done. ;)

As for the translation, which totally escaped me, I would go for either of the following:

"kładzie fundamenty pod innowacje" if you want to be precise; or

"stawia na innowacje" if you're cool with changing the original meaning a bit and going for something stylistically better.

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    "Kładzie fundamenty pod..." sounds like the best translation there possibly is, I wish I had thought of it. :D 'stawia na innowancje' would be wandering too far from the original, I reckon.

7. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Other possibilities:
    ...stwarza okazje/warunki/sprzyjające okoliczności/korzystny klimat/itd. dla innowacji...

8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Where is the quotation from? Please provide the source.

9. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    Sorry Hikee, I disagree on a couple of points.
    Which article depends on whether you are talking about a general principle applicable to any company, or about one particular company. I read the original text in the former sense, in which case 'a' is correct.
    There is no big difference between build and make a case. Building the case is gathering the information and assembling the arguments which you will use to make the case for the proposed innovation. 'Building a case' is not about providing resources/assets, though it would include identifying what resources would be needed.

10. Hikee

Hikee Senior Member

Poland
    Sorry Szkot, I disagree on a couple of points.

In the case of the articles you pointed out the exact same thing that I did - only paraphrased it. I also meant that if this company is some company, or even it's a first mention of a certain company, then "a" is fine. "The" would be of course preferable if "company" turned out to be a specific one that's been mentioned in the text prior to the extract we were given.

Next:

Not once did I say that "make a case" and "build a case" are different. The idiom that is "make a case for" however, is a different story altogether.

Finally, we may argue on the meaning of the actual phrase in question. You say "building a case" does not include concrete objects - be it assets or resources - but you're forgetting that both of those things may be as inconcrete as you make them - assets can be virtual, or simply pieces of information, and resources might as well be intellectual. But that's beside the point. As I gather from the legal context, building a case against a person, as in the example about the detective, entails not only information, but evidence (concrete objects) as well. Hence the analogy that assets/resources/etc. can and should in fact be incuded in a "built case".

11. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Why don't you run the sentence through the English Only Forum to check if it makes any sense, but the context is obviously needed fist-- to find out exactly where this excerpt is from. Context is always required.

12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    To jest właściwie pytanie na forum angielskie (znaczenie oryginału nie jest jasne).

13. PaniWladca

PaniWladca Junior Member

Polonia
    polski
    At first, thank you everybody for your opinions and sorry for a late reply. I didn`t expect the meaning of this phrase might be so ambiguous, if I had known, I would have certainly provided more context at the very beginning. The quote is from an article from Harvard Business Review, titled "The Performance Frontier: Innovating for a sustainable strategy", it`s written by native speakers, so it should be all gramatically correct and perfectly make sense.
    In the original sentence
    it refers to integrated reporting (reporting that takes into account financial, social and environmental performance); it`s of no use quoting any more sentences because they provide less context than you could expect, they just say integrated reporting it`s more than just posting a PDF on a company website, that it`s as much about listening as talking, it serves as a key platform for stakeholders engagement and then goes the already quoted part. From what we have, I think all options proposed in this topic are correct, we may argue which one is the closest to what the authors wanted to say, but it`s another question - I have read the whole article and all of them seem to fit. All in all, thank you very much for your help, even though now it`s purely academic discussion, because I had to prepare it for my English classes and I have already passed the task ;)

14. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Hmm, an interesting belief.