Bulgarian: I have missed you and I love you

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Bravospaz, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Bravospaz New Member

English
    My girlfriend is Bulgarian and I am going to visit her for her birthday. I would like to know how to say, "I have missed you and I love you." I have looked around and gotten "Липсваше ми и аз те обичам." and was wondering if it is correct enough to write down? If anyone can phonetically write it also that would be amazing.

Thank-you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Много ми липсваше, обичам те (I have missed you so much, I love you). Trust me, I have also had a girlfriend who is Bulgarian. :)
    This is the closest phonetical representation for a native English speaker I could come up with: Mno-goo-me lip-svah-shay, oh-bee-chum teh (bold means stressed)
    In fact, hear this: http://translate.google.com/#sk/en/mnogu mi lipsvaše, običam te (click the "Listen" button)
    If you manage to pronounce it that way it'd be perfect. Don't be confused that I used the Slovak speach engine, I just used Slovak letters to get the correct Bulgarian pronunciation and it's sounds more than satisfactory.

3. Bravospaz New Member

English
    Thanks so much mate, that is perfect. Now to attempt to wrap my stupid English tongue around the phonetics.

4. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    I would say a better pronunciation would be "Mno-gu mi lip-sva-she, o-bi-cham te" with all of the vowels being short (no 'w' glide sounds like in dog) and the i being like the "ee" sound in bee but shorter.

5. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    The "no 'w' glide sounds like in dog" is the key guidance, definitely. :) But wouldn't a native English speaker pronounce "chum" better than "cham"?

6. Bravospaz New Member

English
    If I was to put her name in there would it just be at the end as in English? "I have missed you and I love you, blabla" or does it change word order?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  7. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    MOD NOTE: Please start a new thread for each new question. I've split this thread; your new question can now be found HERE.

8. Gnoj Senior Member

Macedonia
    Macedonian
    Just pick one of these, they are equally fine:
    "[name], mnogo mi lipsvaše, običam te"
    "Mnogo mi lipsvaše, [name], običam te"
    "Mnogo mi lipsvaše, običam te, [name]"

"I have not known you very long but my heart does not seem to care":
    Не те познавам дълго, но сърцето ми не пита (literally: I haven't known you very long but my heart doesn't ask)

Не те познавам дълго, но на сърцето ми не му
    пука (literally: I haven't known you very long but my heart doesn't care). I'm not sure how appropriate it would sound if you use "пука", it'd go for my first suggestion.

9. Kartof Senior Member

Bulgarian & English
    Well if it's as in the word "chum" then it would, but I was just thinking of the most phonetic spelling. :p